(1992) Baylor University, Waco, TX
(2000) Uni of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
(2002) Uni of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
(2004) U. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
Office: 7013 Thustson-Bowles Bldg.
The primary interest of my research is to elucidate the mechanisms involved in regulating ion transport, volume flux, and muscociliary transport in both normal and diseased (e.g. cystic fibrosis) airway epithelia. My research is currently focused on a number of key areas, including:
- Elucidating the mechanism(s) of ATP release (transport, conduction, and/or exocytosis) in human airway epithelia
- Elucidating the role of cell membrane (including the lipid bilayer and actin cytoskeleton) in mechanotransduction
- Development of ultra0sensitive, avalanche photodiode-based, luminescence system for quantifying changes in extracellular ATP in isolated tissues
- Development of a system to elicit complex, high-frequency, forces on isolated tissue
- Measuring adenosine nucleotides/nucleotides and other metabolites in very dilute solutions using mass spectrometry and NMR
- In Vivo Imaging of mucociliary clearance by technetium-99m scintilography in anesthetized mice
- Development of a system to collect exhaled breath condensates from mice undergoing oscillatory shear stress
- Identification of serum biomarkers for CF, suitable for surrogate markers of lung function, using mass spectrometry
- B Button, Zhang, L, Gabriel, SE, Boucher, RC, Collins, PL, Pickles, RJ. Restoration of periciliary liquid volume to normal levels in human CF airway epithelium after targeted expression of parainfluenza type 3-CFTR gene transfer vector. PLOS Biol 2009;(Submitted – In Revision).
- B Button, Muhlebach, MS, Hubbard, JJ, Hurd, H, Leigh, MW, Boucher, RC. Proteomic Discovery of Serum Biomarkers of Cystic Fibrosis Lung Disease. Am Journal Resp Crit Care Med 2008;(Submitted – In Revision).
- P Zuo, Picher, M, Okada, SF, Lazarowski, ER, Button B, Boucher, RC, Elston, TC. 2008. Mathematical model of nucleotide regulation on airway epithelia: Implications for airway homeostasis. J. Biol. Chem 2008;283: 26805-19.
- B Button, Boucher, R.C. Role of mechanical stress in regulating airway surface hydration and mucus clearance rates. Respir. Physiol. Neurobiol. 2008;163:189-201.
- B Button, Picher, M, Boucher, RC. Differential effects of cyclic and constant stress on ATP release and mucociliary transport by human airway epithelia. The Journal of physiology 2007;580:577-592.
- H Matsui, Wagner, VE, Hill, DB, Schwab, UE, Rogers, TD, Button B, Taylor, RM, 2nd, Superfine, R, Rubinstein, M, Iglewski, BH, Boucher, RC. A physical linkage between cystic fibrosis airway surface dehydration and Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2006;103:18131-18136.
- MS Muhlebach, MacDonald, SL, Button B, Hubbard, JJ, Turner, ML, Boucher, RC, Kilpatrick, DC. Association between mannan-binding lectin and impaired lung function in cystic fibrosis may be age-dependent. Clinical and experimental immunology 2006;145:302-307.
- R Tarran, Button B, Boucher, RC. Regulation of normal and cystic fibrosis airway surface liquid volume by phasic shear stress. Annual review of physiology 2006;68:543-561.
- R Tarran, Button B, Picher, M, Paradiso, AM, Ribeiro, CM, Lazarowski, ER, Zhang, L, Collins, PL, Pickles, RJ, Fredberg, JJ, Boucher, RC. Normal and cystic fibrosis airway surface liquid homeostasis. The effects of phasic shear stress and viral infections. The Journal of biological chemistry 2005;280:35751-35759.
- G Koukoulis, Caldwell, R, Inokawa, H, Button B, Sevala, M, Lyles, JD, Takashima, S, Blackwell, J, Randell, SH, Egan, TM. Trends in lung pH and PO2 after circulatory arrest: implications for non-heart-beating donors and cell culture models of lung ischemia-reperfusion injury. J Heart Lung Transplant 2005;24:2218-2225.
- Y Chen, Button B, Altenberg, GA, Reuss, L. Potentiation of effect of PKA stimulation of Xenopus CFTR by activation of PKC: role of NBD2. American journal of physiology 2004;287:C1436-1444.
- GM Roomans, Kozlova, I, Nilsson, H, Vanthanouvong, V, Button B, Tarran, R. Measurements of airway surface liquid height and mucus transport by fluorescence microscopy, and of ion composition by X-ray microanalysis. J Cyst Fibros 2004;3 Suppl 2:135-139.
- B Button, Reuss, L, Altenberg, GA. PKC-mediated stimulation of amphibian CFTR depends on a single phosphorylation consensus site. insertion of this site confers PKC sensitivity to human CFTR. The Journal of general physiology 2001;117:457-468.
- B Button, Baker, RD, Vertrees, RA, Allen, SE, Brodwick, MS, Kramer, GC. Quantitative assessment of a circulating depolarizing factor in shock. Shock 2001;15:239-244.
- MP Kinsky, Milner, SM, Button B, Dubick, MA, Kramer, GC. Resuscitation of severe thermal injury with hypertonic saline dextran: effects on peripheral and visceral edema in sheep. The Journal of trauma 2000;49:844-853.
- MP Kinsky, Guha, SC, Button B, Kramer, GC. The role of interstitial starling forces in the pathogenesis of burn edema. The Journal of burn care & rehabilitation 1998;19:1-9.
- SC Guha, Kinsky, MP, Button B, Herndon, DN, Traber, LD, Traber, DL, Kramer, GC. Burn resuscitation: crystalloid versus colloid versus hypertonic saline hyperoncotic colloid in sheep. Critical care medicine 1996;24:1849-1857.