Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA
Rush University, Chicago, IL
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
University of British Columbia
Professor of Medicine & Pathology
Office: 7205 Marsico Hall
Our research interests are in understanding host defense and innate immunity in the lungs, particularly the mechanisms that initiate the host’s responses. The mechanisms underlying the recognition of pathogens or other lung injuries, the recruitment of leukocytes, the changes in vascular permeability, and the effects of leukocytes and edema are our current focus. Although these processes are important in all inflammatory lung diseases, our work particularly addresses pneumonia and the acute respiratory distress syndrome using in vivo, translational, cell biological, immunological, and molecular approaches. Understanding how neutrophils are produced and released from the bone marrow into the blood is also a major interest. Our ultimate goal is to utilize this knowledge to develop therapies that enhance the inflammatory response when it is beneficial to the host and dampen this response when it is harmful.
- Koss, M., G.R. Pfeiffer II, Y. Wang, S.T. Thomas, M. Yerukhimovich, W.A. Gaarde, C.M. Doerschuk and Q. Wang. Ezrin/radixin/moesin proteins are phosphorylated by TNF-a and modulate permeability increases in human pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells. J. Immunol. 176:1218-1227, 2006.
- Yoshida, K., R. Kondo, Q. Wang, C.M. Doerschuk. Neutrophil cytoskeletal rearrangements during capillary sequestration in bacterial pneumonia in rats. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 174:689-698, 2006.
- Tatro, J.M., N. Taki, A.S. Islam, V.M. Goldberg, C.M. Rimnac, C.M. Doerschuk, M.C. Steward, and E.M. Greenfield. The balance between endotoxin accumulation and clearance during particle-induced osteolysis in murine calvaria. J. Orthop. Res. 25:391-399, 2006.
- Vachon, E., R. Martin, V. Kwok, V. Cherepanov, C.W. Chow, C.M. Doerschuk, J. Plumb, S. Grinstein, and G.P. Downey. CD44-mediated phagocytosis induces inside-out activation of complement receptor-3 in murine macrophages. Blood 110: 4492-4502, 2007.
- Doerschuk, C.M. Perspective: Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis: is host defense awry? New Engl. J. Med. 356:347-349, 2007.
- Kang, I., D. Panneerselvam, C. Lee, V.P. Panoskaltsis, S.J. Eppell, R.E. Marchant, and C.M. Doerschuk. Determining the mechanical properties of living cells using atomic force microscopy and finite element modeling. Biophys. J. 94:3273-85, 2008.
- Gomez, J.C., J. Soltys, K. Okano, M.C. Dinauer, and C.M. Doerschuk. The role of Rac2 in regulating neutrophil production in the bone marrow and circulating neutrophil counts. Am. J. Pathol. 173:507-17, 2008.