(1965) St. Peter's College NJ
(1969) U. of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ, Newark NJ
(1971) U. of Medincine and Dentistry of NJ, Newark NJ
(1974) NC Memorial Hospital, Chapel Hill NC
(1976) U. of North Carolina
Chapel Hill NC
Academic & Professional Titles:
Professor of Medicine
Office: 4125 Bioinformatics
James F. Donohue, MD, is Professor of Medicine (post tenure review 2001) at the University of North Carolina, School of Medicine, Department of Medicine in Chapel Hill. Presently he is the Division Chief of Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine. He previously served as Vice Chairman of Clinical Services, Department of Medicine and Clinical Director of the Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Division. He was elected by the faculty to The School of Medicine's committee to review appointments to Associate Professor and Tenure (1996-2000) and served as the elected Chairman of the committee from 1998-2000. In addition, he was elected in 2003 to serve on the Appointments, Promotions and Tenure Committee at UNC-CH and also is an attending physician at the University of North Carolina Hospitals.
After earning a Bachelor of Arts degree at St. Peter's College in New Jersey, Dr. Donohue obtained his medical degree and completed an internship at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. He served a residency at North Carolina Memorial Hospital in Chapel Hill and a fellowship in pulmonary diseases at the University of North Carolina. He is board certified in Internal Medicine, with a subspecialty in Pulmonary Medicine.
Dr. Donohue is a Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians, a member of the American Thoracic Society, and the European Respiratory Society. He also donates time as an officer for many university and community committees. Dr. Donohue is the recipient of numerous research grants and serves as an invited lecturer at several national and international symposia. He is a reviewer and writer for several journals including the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Medicine, The New England Journal of Medicine, Archives of Internal Medicine, the Southern Medicine Journal, Chest, and the Journal of Respiratory Disease. In addition, Dr. Donohue served as a writer and reviewer for the Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program in the subspecialty of Pulmonary and Critical Medicine for the American Thoracic Society and the American College of Chest Physicians. His teaching and research interest include Sarcoid, Interstitial Lung Diseases, COPD, Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency, Asthma and hopes to establish an Asthma Education Center during his tenure at UNC-CH.
- Sarcoid and interstitial lung diseases. We are one of the 10 NIH funded centers for the study of the genetics of sarcoid.
- COPD, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. We are one of the alpha one treatment centers. We participate in many clinical trials for new therapies for COPD.
- Asthma. Cllnical trials for new therapies. Asthma Education Center.
- Cox CE, Donohue JF, Brown CD, Kataria YP, Judson MA.The Sarcoidosis Health Questionnaire: A New Measure of Health-Related Quality of Life. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003 May 8. Click here to link to Pubmed
- Johnson FL, Donohue JF, Shaffer CL. Improved sputum expectoration following a single dose of INS316 in patients with chronic bronchitis. Chest. 2002 Dec;122(6):2021-9. Click here to link to Pubmed
- Chalermskulrat W, Gilbey JG, Donohue JF. Nontuberculous mycobacteria in women, young and old.
Clin Chest Med. 2002 Sep;23(3):675-86. Click here to link to Pubmed
- Brock TP, Wessell AM, Williams DM, Donohue JF. Accuracy of float testing for metered-dose inhaler canisters. J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash). 2002 Jul-Aug;42(4):582-6. Click here to link to Pubmed
- Donohue JF, van Noord JA, Bateman ED, Langley SJ, Lee A, Witek TJ Jr, Kesten S, Towse L. A 6-month, placebo-controlled study comparing lung function and health status changes in COPD patients treated with tiotropium or salmeterol. Chest. 2002 Jul;122(1):47-55. Click here to link to Pubmed
- Selected Best Doctors'in America. 1994-5,1996-7, 1998-9, 2001-2, 2003-4. Woodward/White
- Selected America's Top Doctors . 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004. Castle Connelly Guide
- Selected Guide to America's Top Physicians . Consumers Research of America. 2003
- Selected Consumer's Guide to Top Doctor . Consumers Checkbook. 2003
- Selected The Best Doctors in America - Southeast Region - Woodward White/Aiken - 1996 - 1997
- Selected Who's Who 1995-1996, Selected International Who's Who of Professionals 1996
- Selected - The Best Medicine Specialists in North America - Town and Country Feb 1995 pg. 126.
- Internal Medicine House Staff's Faculty Award 1991
- Alpha Omega Alpha - elected by students at UNC 1991
- American Lung Association of North Carolina Award for "Outstanding Leadership", 1989
- CCB Excellence in Teaching Award" from the student body and Whitehead Medical Society, UNC School of Medicine (1981)
- The "Professor Award" from the Class of 1980, UNC School of Medicine
- Medical Pearls, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985
- Presidential Scholarship, St. Peter's College
- Joseph Collins Foundation Scholarship, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Navy Commendation, Beaufort, South Carolina, 1973