(1973) Sweet Briar College
Sweet Briar VA
(1976) Eastern Virginia Medical School
Children's Hospital Norfolk VA
U. of Kentucky Lexington KY
(1982-85) Pediatric Pulmonary
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, NC
Office: 635 Burnett-Womack
Pediatric Pulmonary Web Page:
Click here to link to Pediatric Pulmonary
- Pathogenesis of Cystic Fibrosis lung disease
- Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia
- Differeniation of airway epithelial cells
Grants and Contracts Funded:
- NIH SCOR, PI: Collier AM, CoPIs: Leigh MW and Stiles A. "SCOR in Pathobiology of Lung Development", direct costs $6,193,425, 12/01/96-11/30/01 (25% effort).
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, PI: Leigh, MW. "Cystic Fibrosis Center Program", 7/98-6/99, direct costs $141,267, (15% effort).
- NIH SCOR, PI: Boucher RC. "SCOR in Airway Biology/Pathogenesis of Cystic Fibrosis", Core D: Morphology Core, Director MW Leigh, 9/98-9/03, direct costs $118,717, (15% effort).
- NIH SCOR, PI: Boucher RC. "SCOR in Airway Biology/Pathogenesis of Cystic Fibrosis", Project IV "Airway Surface Liquid Composition of Humans in vivo", Project Dir. Knowles MR, 9/98-9/03, direct costs $197,230, (10% effort).
- NIH #1 P01 HL51818, PI: Boucher RC. "Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis", Core D: Morphology/Morphometry Core, Director MW Leigh, 4/99-3/04, direct costs $119,750, (15% effort).
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, PI: Leigh, ME. "Cystic Fibrosis Center Program" 7/99-6/00, direct costs $161,411, (15% effort).
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, PI: Leigh, ME. "Cystic Fibrosis Center Program" 7/00-6/01, direct costs $181,256, (15% effort).
- Noone PG, Zariwala M, Sannuti A, Minnix S, Leigh MW, Carson J, Knowles MR.Mutations in DNAI1 (IC78) cause primary ciliary dyskinesia. Chest. 2002 Mar;121(3 Suppl):97S. Click here to link to Pubmed
- Zariwala M, Noone PG, Sannuti A, Minnix S, Zhou Z, Leigh MW, Hazucha M, Carson JL, Knowles MR. Germline mutations in an intermediate chain dynein cause primary ciliary dyskinesia. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2001 Nov;25(5):577-83. Click here to link to Pubmed
- Reed W, Carson JL, Moats-Staats BM, Lucier T, Hu P, Brighton L, Gambling TM, Huang CH, Leigh MW, Collier AM. Characterization of an axonemal dynein heavy chain expressed early in airway epithelial ciliogenesis. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2000 Dec;23(6):734-41. Click here to link to Pubmed
- Noone PG, Hohneker KW, Zhou Z, Johnson LG, Foy C, Gipson C, Jones K, Noah TL, Leigh MW, Schwartzbach C, Efthimiou J, Pearlman R, Boucher RC, Knowles MR.Safety and biological efficacy of a lipid-CFTR complex for gene transfer in the nasal epithelium of adult patients with cystic fibrosis.Mol Ther. 2000 Jan;1(1):105-14. Click here to link to Pubmed
Contributions to Books
- Leigh MW, Knowles MR, Boucher RC: Cystic fibrosis - genetics and disease mechanisms. In Taussig LM and Landau LI, eds, Textbook of Pediatric Respiratory Medicine, Mosby Year Book, St. Louis, pp 991-1009, 1999.
- Leigh MW: Sarcoidosis. In Behrman RE, Kliegman RM, Jenson HB eds, Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, Sixteenth Edition, W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, pp 2143-2144, 1999.
- Leigh MW: Bronchopulmonary dysplasia. In Stockman JA and Lohr JA, eds, Essence of Office Pediatrics, W.B. Saunders Co, Philadelphia, p 55, 2001.
- Leigh MW: Airway secretions. In Haddad GG, Abman SH and Chernick V, eds. Basic Mechanisms of Pediatric Respiratory Disease, Second Edition, B. C. Decker, Inc., Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, In Press, 2000