- Teach One Reach One (T.O.R.O) paired local parents and teens to teach parent-teen communication skills to reduce sexual activity and HIV/STI Transmission
- Program ran from 2008 – 2012
- Project Momentum Inc.
- NC Area L Health Education Center (AHEC)
- Edgecombe and Nash County Health Departments
- Heritage Hospital
- NAACP – Rocky Mount
- Nash Health Care Systems
- Community Enrichment Organization
- Visions Inc.
- UNC Center for Health Equity Research
National Center for Minority Health and Health Disparities (NCMHD)
9/1/09 – 2/28/14
- Dave G, Ritchwood T, Young TL, Roman Isler M, Black A, Akers AY, Gizlice Z, Blumenthal C, Atley L, Wynn M, Stith D, Cene C, Ellis D, Corbie-Smith G. Evaluating teach one reach one – a risk reduction intervention to enhance adult-youth communication about sex and reduce the burden of HIV/STI. Am J Health Promot. 2016;31(6):465-475. doi: 10.1177/0890117116669402.
- Ritchwood TD, Albritton T, Akers AY, Dave G, Carthon D, Adimora A, Project GRACE, Corbie-Smith G. The effect of teach one reach one (TORO) on youth acceptance of couple violence. J Child Fam Stud. 2015;24(12):3805-3815. doi:10.1007/s10826-015-0188-5.
- Ritchwood TD, Dave G, Carthron DL, Roman Isler M, Blumenthal C, Wynn M, Odulana A, Lin FC, Akers AY, Corbie-Smith G. Adolescents and parental caregivers as lay health advisers in a community-based risk reduction intervention for youth: baseline data from teach one, reach one. AIDS Care. 2015;28(4):537-542. doi:10.1080/09540121.2015.1112348.
- Corbie-Smith G, Akers AY, Blumenthal C, Council B, Wynn M, Muhammad M, Stith D. Intervention Mapping as a Participatory Approach to Developing an HIV Prevention Intervention in rural African American communities. AIDS Educ Prev. 2010;22(3):184-202. doi: 10.1521/aeap.2010.22.3.184.
Parents and caregivers play an important role in sexual socialization of youth, often serving as the primary source of information about sex. For African American rural youth who experience disparate rates of HIV/sexually transmitted infection, improving caregiver–youth communication about sexual topics may help to reduce risky behaviors. This study assessed the impact of an intervention to improve sexual topic communication.
- Click to download summary handout: TeachOneReachOne Info Sheet (v.2019)
- Original project listing can be found here: https://www.shepscenter.unc.edu/project/project-grace-growing-reaching-advocating-for-change-and-empowerment/
Last updated: 7/28/2020