Skip to main content

How do I Become a Standardized Patient?

If you think you might be interested in becoming a standardized patient, here is some additional information you should know.

What experience do I need to become a SP?

Our SPs come from all walks of life and bring a variety of experiences with them. They generally have an interest in education and personal health. They have excellent communication skills, and are patient with those who are learning new skills. They must also have flexibility to participate in exams and exercises that take place during all times of the day, and sometimes evenings and weekends

What responsibilities would I have as a SP?

Once you join the SP Program and begin working with our students, we ask you for your commitment to this learning process. We expect that you will be reliable and take the program seriously. SPs are often test questions in an exam, and are often responsible for scoring and giving students feedback.

How will I be trained to be a SP?

You will undergo extensive training, which varies according to the type of cases you are portraying. Some SPs are asked to work with students who are practicing a certain skill. Others are used during exams to evaluate how well students have learned skills. The training typically takes place with a group of people assigned to portray the same case. There are opportunities to ask questions, do some role-playing, and review each other’s performance. The goal of the training session is to ensure that you have a thorough knowledge of the case, and that everyone portrays the case in a ‘standardized’ way. Individual training sessions are usually no more than two hours, but total training time may last up to 12 hours.

Who is eligible to be a SP?

When you’re hired to be a SP, you become a part-time temporary employee of the University of North Carolina and and the state of North Carolina. Therefore, potential SPs cannot already be full time state employees. In addition, potential SPs cannot be registered with Tar Heel Temps. Before you begin working, you must tome to the Clinical Skills Center to complete both the North Carolina and federal tax withholding forms, as well as an employment eligibility verification form. Please bring 2 forms of identification- usually your driver’s license and social security card. If you do not have one of these forms of ID, a birth certificate or valid U.S. passport will do. In addition to the valid identification, you must bring a voided check in order to be put on direct deposit as mandated by the university.

How do I apply to be a SP?

If you are interested in the SP Program, simply fill out the Application Form.

Your information will automatically be sent to the SP Program Coordinator. You will be contacted when opportunities arise. If there are currently no openings, your information will be added to our database so that we may contact you in the future.