Preparing for Procedure Day
- You will receive a call from our office with the time you are to check in the morning of your procedure. You will check in with registration, as you did with clinic day, and they will direct you to the pre-operative area.
- Your family will wait in the waiting room during the procedure, where we can give them updates throughout your case. We will escort them to your room when you are ready for visitors.
- You should have nothing to eat or drink after midnight, the night before your procedure. You should drink 12 oz of regular Gatorade, 2 hours prior to your check-in time. This carbohydrate beverage will give you energy and hydration before your procedure.
- You will have a PreCare, or pre-operative appointment, before your procedure day that consists of blood work, EKG, chest x-ray, a nurse visit, and a evaluation with the anesthesiologist. This precare appointment will last about an hour.
- You will meet with our anesthesia colleagues during your precare (pre-op) appointment where they will explain their plan for keeping you comfortable during your procedure. They will discuss administration of general anesthesia versus moderate conscious sedation. Read more about this on UNC Anesthesiology.