Medicare Annual Wellness Visits
We want to help you get the most from your Medicare wellness benefits. While Medicare does not pay for a traditional, head-to-toe physical, it does pay for a free wellness visit once a year.
At this wellness visit our team of Medicare Wellness providers, who may not be your regular doctor, will take a complete personal health history and provide several other services:
- Review your medical and family history
- Assist you in making a list of your current providers and prescriptions
- Check your height, weight, blood pressure, vision, and body mass index
- Review your potential risk for depression and your level of safety
- Teach you about preventive care such as shots and cancer screenings
- Help you create a personal screening schedule for preventive care
- Order further tests for certain diseases and provide referrals for other types of care that your care team thinks you may need
- Discuss your risk factors and treatment options
What should I bring with me?
In order to make the most of your visit, you should bring the following information to every visit:
- Completed “Health Risk Assessment” that was mailed to you. If you arrive at the clinic without this form, then your visit will be rescheduled.
- Your medical and vaccine records. Call your previous doctor(s) to get copies of these documents.
- Your family health history. This is useful so your care team can know if you are at risk for certain diseases.
- A list of current over-the-counter and prescription medicines you are taking, why you are taking them, and how often. Please bring all bottles, as well.
What is the difference between an Annual Wellness Visit and an Annual Physical?
Medicare does not cover Annual Physical exams or clinical lab tests. Annual Physicals are your traditional “head to toe” physical. These visits do not screen to see if you are at risk for disease. Annual Wellness Visits though are designed to improve your overall health care by providing a more detailed look at your health risks based on family history and health behaviors and more. In addition, you may be qualified for certain preventive services, such as shots and screening tests. Screening tests help find disease early, so you can take steps to delay or lessen the effects of the disease.
If you are interested in setting up this appointment, please call our appointment line at 984-974-4462 to schedule a Medicare Annual Wellness Visit. If you would have further questions, you can ask your provider or our staff for more information.
Please note: A wellness visit does not address new or existing health problems, which would be a separate visit set up with your primary care doctor. A separate charge applies to these services, whether or not it is provided on the same date or a different date than the wellness visit.
Chronic Care Management (CCM)
Our clinic offers Chronic Care Management, or CCM, services which are a team-based, patient-centered approach to coordinating your care and helping you manage chronic conditions. If you choose to participate, you will be assigned a care manager that will call you each month. During these calls your care manager will work with you and your primary care provider, or PCP, to help you reach your health goals and help you navigate your health care. Our Chronic Care Management team includes nurses, social workers, care managers, and pharmacists. To enroll in Chronic Care Management or to get more information contact your primary care provider or call the clinic at 984-974-4462.