Guidelines for Appointment as Adjunct Faculty
The request for an adjunct faculty appointment must made through the online application portal to the Chair of the Department and include the following.
- Rationale and area of focus for appointment
- Brief statement of the rationale for the appointment
- Detailed explanation of the ways (research, teaching or other) in which the applicant seeks to engage the Department over the next three years
- Name of sponsor
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Department Sponsor
- The applicant is responsible for identifying and communicating with a potential sponsor in the Department in advance of the application and will name their sponsor in their online application.
- A sponsor is a faculty member with a full or joint appointment in the Department of Medicine.
- Responsibilities of the sponsor include serving as the applicant’s point of communication with the Department and facilitating the applicant’s involvement.
The adjunct faculty application can be completed by selecting the button below:
Process for Reviewing Requests for Appointment
- The Chair of the Department reviews the application and verifies the support from the applicant’s sponsor.
- Meaningful involvement include any of the activities listed below. Adjunct faculty are not required to be involved in all the areas listed below. The adjunct faculty member is encouraged to communicate with their sponsor to identify the area of involvement. Other activities for involvement will be considered if they are recurring and substantive.
- Teach regularly onsite in the UNC Department of Medicine
- Actively teach UNC medical students on dermatology rotations in your office
- Actively teach UNC medicine residents in your office
- Research collaboration on grants or papers with Department faculty
- Consultant on research projects
- Applications for appointment are reviewed by the full professors.
- Full professors evaluate the applicant based on the applicant’s rationale for appointment and specific plans for departmental interactions.
- Full professors make recommendations to the Chair who makes the final decision concerning approval.
- Adjunct faculty appointments are for a period of three years.
- The letter affirming appointment will specify that renewal is contingent on demonstration of meaningful engagement in Department activities over the prior three-year period (as defined below).
- Rank of the appointment will be assigned by the Chair.
Adjunct Faculty Engagement
- A list of adjunct faculty areas of expertise (using the key words they provide in their application letter) will be circulated and maintained on Department web space with search capability for students and faculty.
- Sponsors and adjuncts should connect at least once a year to review current and planned activities. Adjunct faculty are expected to contact their sponsor at least once per year to discuss mechanisms for involvement.
- Once per year, the Chair will report at a faculty meeting on new adjunct appointments made, examples of adjunct faculty involvement, and future plans to enhance adjunct faculty participation.
Criteria for Maintaining an Adjunct Appointment and Requests for Reappointment
- Reappointment is based on adjunct faculty’s demonstration of meaningful involvement in the Department.
- Meaningful involvement is defined as connections with the Department approved in the initial appointment that are recurring and substantive.
- The adjunct faculty will be contacted by the Department Chair a few months prior to the three-year anniversary of appointment and will be asked to provide a summary of activities and accomplishments associated with the department during the past three years. The reappointment form can be completed by selecting the button below:
- Reappointment Application
- 4. This report will be reviewed by the Chair, sponsor, and the department’s full professors. If a sustained and meaningful involvement with the Department over the prior three-year period is not identified, a notice will be sent informing the appointee of the discontinuation of the appointment.