The Student National Medical Association
) is the nation’s oldest and largest student organization focused on the health needs and concerns of minority communities. Established in 1964 by the medical students from Howard University and Meharry medical schools, SNMA boasts nearly 50 years of committed service to communities. It continues still to advocate for improved, culturally sensitive health care services and education for neglected or underserved populations. SNMA represents thousands of medical and pre-medical students. although consisting primarily of African Americans, SNMA’s array of members reflects the organization’s appeal to students and professionals everywhere.Some of our members are Native Americans, Africans, West Indians, Hispanics, Asians, Middle Easterners and Caucasians, all of whom bring a global perspective to education and health care issues that the organization addresses.
The goals of the organization include:
- to raise the levels of minority student recruitment, admissions, and retention in schools training health care professionals
- to sponsor programs for minority youth to encourage their entrance into the health professions
- to eradicate prejudicial practices in the medical education and health care delivery
- to provide national leadership in the promulgation of legislative policies for the provision of better health care, and
- to eliminate health disparities among minority communities by disseminating information about general health maintenance and disease prevention.
SNMA membership is open to all who wish to make a difference regarding the medical education and health concerns of people of color. Members at every level receive free copies of the quarterly SNMA Newsletter and SNMA Journal, discounts on SNMA conference
travel including car rentals, SNMA merchandise, and eligibility for several scholarships, grants, and loan repayment opportunities in association with Kaplan Test Preparation, National Institute of Health, and National Health Service Corps. Best of all, SNMA affords its members unparalleled leadership, management, and networking opportunities.
Choose to make a difference now, so that there is a clear, positive difference in the delivery of health care in the future. Join the SNMA. Additional information is available at the website, www.snma.org, or contact the National Office to receive more information:
SNMA National Office
5113 Georgia Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20011