Dr. Tisu Mvalo is an Associate Research Professor of Pediatrics at UNC as well as the in-country Pediatric Director of UNC Project Malawi. He practices clinically at Kamuzu Central Hospital in Lilongwe, Malawi and he also provides on-the-ground mentorship for the rotating learners. Dr. Mvalo is the PI in several ongoing research studies at UNC Project Malawi, including the Innovative Treatment in Pneumonia (ITIP) trials and Tuberculosis Meningitis trials.
- Ginsburg AS, Mvalo T, Nkwopara E, et al. Amoxicillin for 3 or 5 Days for Chest-Indrawing Pneumonia in Malawian Children. N Engl J Med. 2020;383(1):13-23. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1912400
- Gadama D, Mvalo T, Ginsburg AS. Haemophilus influenzae type b and pneumococcal conjugate vaccination coverage in children aged 2-59 months in Malawi. Hum Vaccin Immunother [Internet]. 2020;00(00):1–3. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/21645515.2020.1773142
- Bell GJ, Loop MS, Mvalo T, Juliano JJ, Kamthunzi P, Tegha G, Mofolo I, Lievens M, Bailey JA, Emch M, Hoffman I. Environmental modifiers of RTS,S malaria vaccine efficacy in Lilongwe, Malawi. BMC Public Health. 2020 Jun 12;20(1):910. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-09039-z
- Ahmed S, Mvalo T, Akech S, etal. Protecting children in low- income and middle- income countries from COVID-19. BMJ Global Health 2020; 5:e002844. doi:10.1136/ bmjgh-2020-002844
- Lenahan JL, Nkwopara E, Phiri M, Mvalo T, Couasnon MT, Turner K, et al. Repeat assessment of examination signs among children in Malawi with fast-breathing pneumonia. ERJ Open Res 2020; 6: 00275-2019. https://doi.org/10.1183/23120541.00275-2019].
- Therrell BL, Lloyd-Puryear MA, Ohene-Frempong K, Ware RE, Padilla CD, Ambrose EE, Barkat A, Ghazal H, Kiyaga C, Mvalo T, Nnodu O, Ouldim K, Rahimy MC, Santos B, Tshilolo L, Yusuf C, Zarbalian G, Watson MS & faculty and speakers at the First Pan African Workshop on Newborn Screening, Rabat, Morocco, June 12-14, 2019 (2020). Empowering newborn screening programs in African countries through establishment of an international collaborative effort. Journal of community genetics, 10.1007/s12687-020-00463-7. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12687-020-00463-7
- Sessions KL, Ruegsegger L, Mvalo T, Kondowe D, Tsidya M, Hosseinipour MC, Lufesi N, Eckerle M, Smith AG, McCollum ED. Focus group discussions on low – flow oxygen and bubble CPAP treatments among mothers of young children in Malawi : a CPAP IMPACT substudy. BMJ Open 2020;10:e034545. doi:10.1136/ bmjopen-2019-034545 2020;1–8.
- Bell GJ, Loop M, Topazian HM, Hudgens M, Mvalo T, Juliano JJ, Kamthunzi P, Tegha G, Mofolo I, Hoffman I, Bailey JA, Emch M. Case reduction and cost-effectiveness of the RTS,S/AS01 malaria vaccine alongside bed nets in Lilongwe, Malawi. Vaccine. 2020 Apr 30; Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X20305119
- Paradkar M, Devaleenal DB, Mvalo T, et al. 2019. Challenges in conducting trials for pediatric tuberculous meningitis: lessons from the field. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 23(10): 1082-1089. https://doi.org/10.5588/ijtld.18.0786
- Mvalo T, Topazian HM, Kamthunzi P, et al. Real‐world experience using hydroxyurea in children with sickle cell disease in Lilongwe, Malawi.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2019;(July):1-8. doi:10.1002/pbc.27954
- McCollum ED, Brown SP, Nkwopara E, Mvalo T, May S, Ginsburg AS (2019) Development of a prognostic risk score to aid antibiotic decision making for children aged 2-59 months with World Health Organization fast breathing pneumonia in Malawi: An Innovative Treatments in Pneumonia (ITIP) secondary analysis. PLoS ONE 14(6): e0214583. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0214583
- King C, Mvalo T, Sessions K, Wilson I, Walker I, Zadutsa B, Makwenda C, Phiri T, Boyd N, Bernstein M & McCollum E. Performance of a novel reusable pediatric pulse oximeter probe. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2019;1‐8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.24295