IMGV for Chronic Pain – Week 2
Reactions to Stress
In this session, we will review the concepts of mindful awareness, learn how stress affects the mind and body, and use the body scan to become familiar with observing the breath and bringing mindful awareness to bodily experiences and sensations.
- Practice the body scan once a day for 6 out of the 7 days this week. Here are some helpful reminders to stick with it!
- Regardless of what happens (falling asleep, losing concentration, being distracted by thoughts, emotions or physical sensations), stay with the practice. You can do it!
- These are your experiences in the moment. All you have to do is be aware of them even if your mind is wandering.
- This is not a competition. This is a time for quiet and privacy.
- Be open to whatever you experience during the body scan.
- Cultivate an attitude of openness, curiosity and friendly acknowledgment about what is here right now. There is no need to fight off or suppress any unpleasant thoughts, emotions, or sensations – or to hold onto pleasant ones.
- You don’t have to like the body scan. The most important thing is to stick with it and see what happens.
- Take a few moments each day to pay attention to your thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations.
- Identify one resource (i.e. a video, quote, podcast, or social media post) that helps you respond to stress in a healthy way.
- Bring it to the group next week to share!
- Body Scan Meditation: