Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
“The UNC Department of Psychiatry has a distinguished history as national leaders and a commitment to excellence in our missions: clinical service, teaching, research and advocacy. We are nationally and internationally recognized in each of these domains and have a passion for innovation, cutting-edge discovery, training the next generation of leaders in psychiatry and advocating for policy that improves the lives of the patients we serve. This is a transformative time for Psychiatry and Behavioral Health and we are extremely well poised to respond to the significant mental health needs facing our society. We are intentionally fostering diversity, equity and inclusive excellence through our actions, our policies and our culture. Whether you are looking for information about clinical programs, education and training, groundbreaking research, community engagement, or our new initiatives focused on mental health equity, I welcome your interest in our exceptional department.”
– Samantha Meltzer-Brody, MD, MPH
DIVE-IN pilot grant program
The Mental Health Equity Program (MHEP) and the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Program (DEIP) are thrilled to announce the Cycle 1 recipients of the DIVE-IN pilot grant program, which is designed to provide seed money for faculty- and staff-initiated projects that aim to foster and advance DEI in clinical, research, and administrative activities within the UNC Department of Psychiatry.
Congratulations to the following recipients!
- Funding for Aimee Kresica, MSW, LCSW’s project will help to set up an in-clinic community pantry for UNC Wakebrook patients with food insecurity: $1500
- Collaborator: UNC SOM / Wakebrook Primary Care
- Funding for Barbara James, MSW, LCSW’s project will be used to purchase bedding and winter clothing for UNC Wakebrook patients without housing: $500
- Collaborators: Helga E. LeMaster, MSW, LCSW, ACSW; Michael Wieleba, MS; Laura A. McDaniel, MSW, LCSW, LCAS-A
- Funding for Madeline Farber, PhD’s project will be used to support the clinical team’s efforts to provide an inclusive and therapeutic inpatient environment for youth self-identifying as members of the LGBTQ+ community: $500
- Collaborators: Shahzad Ali, MD; Elizabeth Matlock, MD; Kasey Donna, LRT, CTRS; Tamara Ascher, RN/CN4
UNC School of Medicine Selected as a 2022 Health Professions Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award Winner! The School of Medicine was recognized for its robust DEI infrastructure across campus, numerous efforts designed to provide education and training opportunities for the next generation of doctors, basic science researchers, health scientist, and rural initiatives that improve access to care for all North Carolinians.
As a recipient of the annual Health Professions HEED Award — a national honor recognizing U.S. health colleges and universities that demonstrate an outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion — the School of Medicine will be featured, along with 64 other recipients, in the December 2022 issue of INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine.