Preclinical Molecular Neuropharmacology Research Team
Current Research Projects
- Neurosteroids and Ethanol Interactions
- Mechanisms of Alcohol Addiction Pathogenesis
- Stress, Alcohol and GABAergic Neuroactive Steroids
- Discovered that neurosteroids mediate specific pharmacological effects of ethanol in rodents and contribute to subjective effects of ethanol in humans.
- Found that alcohol-dependent rats are sensitized to the anticonvulsant effects of neurosteroids. Neurosteroids protect against the CNS hyperexcitability of alcohol withdrawal.
- Discovered that chronic ethanol consumption alters GABAA receptor function, due to alterations in gene expression, receptor phosphorylation, and receptor trafficking.
- Identified a neurosteroid marker of risk for binge alcohol consumption in cynomologus monkeys. Dexamethasone suppression of plasma deoxycorticosterone and pregnenolone predict high alcohol drinking.
- Found that chronic ethanol consumption alters neurosteroid responses to HPA axis modulation.