All School of Medicine faculty (medical and biomedical educators), including those at an Area Health Education Center (AHEC), should self-nominate based on the instructions and qualifications below.
Attendance (virtual or in-person) at four (4) AOE events before the year applying are required. Two (2) of these can be viewing the event recording on the AOE website, whereas two (2) should be attended synchronously. Please document these events within the personal statement.
Successful applicants will need to document accomplishments in one or more of the following six areas:
- Direct teaching or mentoring, including didactic or clinical teaching of medical/biomedical students, residents, fellows, graduate students, Post Docs, or other faculty
- Instructional development and curriculum design (including the development of medical/biomedical education resources)
- Student or resident advising and mentoring
- Educational administration and leadership
- Educational research
- Continuing medical education resources
Academy membership will be awarded to faculty, staff, and educator members who demonstrate excellence in teaching. Membership will also be awarded to those who demonstrate leadership by playing roles in curriculum management and innovation.
- January 10, 2023 – Call for applications/nominations
- April 19, 2023, 11:59 PM EST – Deadline for receiving completed applications from all nominees.
- Mid-April 2023 – Selection Committee meets to select new members.
- First week of May 2023 – New members are announced.
- June 1, 2023 – Alan W. Cross Evening of Scholarship and induction of new members.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) with relevant teaching and education experience highlighted.
- Personal statement (limited to one single-spaced page) that includes the following elements:
- Description of your interest, roles, and accomplishments in teaching
- Why you wish to be considered for membership
- How you would like to contribute to the Academy’s mission
- List the names of four (4) Academy of Educators events you have attended before applying
Completing the FLAGship (Faculty Leadership and Growth) program will automatically qualify participants for membership without needing a full application. FLAGship participants should upload their CVs below but do not need to submit a personal statement.
Please get in touch with email@example.com@med.unc.edu with any questions or concerns.