All School of Medicine faculty (medical and biomedical educators), including the Area Health Education Centers (AHEC), are eligible to apply to the AOE. Interested individuals are encouraged to ask their Chairs, or designee, to nominate them or self-nominate.
Attendance at four (4) AOE events prior to the year applying is required. Please document these events within the personal statement for consideration.
Successful applicants will need to document accomplishments in one or more of the following six areas:
- Direct teaching or mentoring, including didactic or clinical teaching of medical/biomedical students, residents, fellows, graduate students, Post Docs, or other faculty
- Instructional development and curriculum design (including the development of medical/biomedical education resources)
- Student or resident advising and mentoring
- Educational administration and leadership
- Educational research
- Continuing medical education resources
Academy membership will be awarded to faculty, staff, and educator members who demonstrate excellence in teaching. Membership will also be awarded to those who demonstrate leadership by playing a major role in curriculum management and/or innovation as evidenced by chairing major committees, directing courses and/or engaging in education scholarship.
- January 26, 2022 – Call for applications/nominations sent to all School of Medicine Chairs, Program Directors, and AOE members. Faculty interested in joining the AOE are strongly encouraged to contact their Chair regarding the nomination process.
- April 6, 2022, 11:59 PM EST – Deadline for receiving completed applications from all nominees.
- Mid-April 2022 – Selection Committee meets to select new members.
- First week of May 2022 – New members are announced.
- May 19, 2022 – Alan W. Cross Evening of Scholarship and induction of new members.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) with relevant teaching and education experience highlighted.
- Personal statement (limited to one single-spaced page) that includes the following elements:
- Description of your interest, roles, and accomplishments in teaching
- Why you wish to be considered for membership
- How you would like to contribute to the Academy’s mission
- List the names and dates of four (4) Academy of Educators events you have attended before applying
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.