All School of Medicine faculty, including the Area Health Education Centers (AHEC), are eligible to apply to the AOE. Interested individuals are encouraged to ask their Chairs, or designee, to nominate them.
Successful applicants will need to document accomplishments in one or more of the following six areas:
- Direct teaching or mentoring, including didactic or clinical teaching of medical students, residents, fellows, graduate students, Post Docs, or other faculty
- Instructional development and curriculum design (including the development of medical education resources)
- Student or resident advising and mentoring
- Educational administration and leadership
- Educational research
- Continuing medical education resources
Academy membership will be awarded to faculty members who demonstrate excellence in teaching. Membership will also be awarded to faculty members who demonstrate leadership by playing a major role in curriculum management and/or innovation as evidenced by chairing major committees, directing courses and/or engaging in education scholarship.
- January 2021 – Call for nominations goes to all School of Medicine Chairs, Program Directors, and AOE members. Faculty interested in joining the AOE are strongly encouraged to contact their Chair regarding the nomination process.
- Mid-March 2021 – Deadline for receiving completed applications from all nominees. Selection Committee meets to select new members.
- Early May 2021 – New members are announced.
- Mid-May 2021 – Evening of Educational Scholarship and induction of new members.
- SOM formatted Curriculum Vitae (CV) with relevant teaching and education experience highlighted.
- Personal statement describing interest, roles, and accomplishments in teaching. The statement should include why you wish to be considered for membership, how you have become a better teacher due to your engagement over the required time period, and how you would like to contribute to the Academy’s mission. This narrative should be limited to one single-spaced page.
- (1) One-page letter of support from AHEC Liaison, Department Chair, or Division Chief indicating why this individual has been chosen for membership and how membership would benefit the individual.