All School of Medicine trainees (Residents, Chief Residents, Fellows, and Post-Doctoral scholar), including the Area Health Education Centers (AHEC), are encouraged to request nomination to the Academy of Educators by their Program Directors or Department Chairs for Resident Membership. Interested individuals may also self-nominate.
Note: Medical residents are eligible for nomination after their first year at UNC is completed; thus, interested PGY1s should not apply.
Attendance at four (4) AOE events prior to the year applying is required. Criteria for selection includes anticipated excellence in teaching and a desire to remain active as a teacher in their future career.
Resident/fellow/trainee membership in the AOE is terminated at the completion of training at UNC. Those who become faculty at UNC remain a part of the AOE. Individuals who return as faculty members at a later time may contact email@example.com for next steps.
Successful applicants will need to document accomplishments in ONE or more of the following six areas:
- Direct teaching or mentoring, including didactic or clinical teaching of medical and biomedical students, residents, fellows, graduate students, Post Docs, or other faculty
- Instructional development and curriculum design (including the development of medical/biomedical education resources)
- Student or resident advising and mentoring
- Educational administration and leadership
- Educational research
- Continuing medical/biomedical education resources
- January 26, 2022 – Call for applications/nominations sent to all School of Medicine Chairs, Program Directors, and AOE members. Faculty interested in joining the AOE are strongly encouraged to contact their Chair regarding the nomination process.
- April 6, 2022, 11:59 PM EST – Deadline for receiving completed applications from all nominees.
- Mid-April 2022 – Selection Committee meets to select new members.
- First week of May 2022 – New members are announced.
- May 19, 2022 – Alan W. Cross Evening of Scholarship and induction of new members.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) with relevant teaching and education experience highlighted.
- Personal statement (limited to one single-spaced page) that includes the following elements:
- Description of your interest, roles, and accomplishments in teaching
- Why you wish to be considered for membership
- How you would like to contribute to the Academy’s mission
- List the names and dates of four (4) Academy of Educators events you have attended before applying
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.