All School of Medicine Residents, Chief Residents, Fellows, and Post-Doctoral students, including the Area Health Education Centers (AHEC), may be nominated to the Academy of Educators by their Program Directors or Department Chairs for Resident Membership. Residents are eligible for nomination after their first year at UNC is completed. Criteria for selection includes anticipated excellence in teaching based on learner, peer, and supervisor assessment and a desire to remain active as a teacher in their future career.
Resident membership in the AOE is terminated at the completion of training at UNC. Residents who become faculty at UNC remain a part of the AOE.
Successful applicants will need to document accomplishments in ONE or more of the following six areas:
- Direct teaching or mentoring, including didactic or clinical teaching of medical students, residents, fellows, graduate students, Post Docs, or other faculty
- Instructional development and curriculum design (including the development of medical education resources)
- Student or resident advising and mentoring
- Educational administration and leadership
- Educational research
- Continuing medical education resources
Resident applications must include nomination letters from the nominee’s program director. Program Directors are encouraged to nominate their top educators.
- January 2021 – Call for nominations goes to all School of Medicine Chairs, Program Directors, and AOE members.
- Mid-March 2021 – Deadline for receiving completed applications from all nominees. Selection Committee meets to select new members.
- Early May 2021 – New members are announced.
- Mid-May 2021 – Evening of Educational Scholarship and induction of new members.
- SOM formatted Curriculum Vitae (CV) with relevant teaching or education experience highlighted.
- Personal statement describing interest, roles, and accomplishments in teaching. The statement should include why you wish to be considered for membership, how you have become a better teacher due to your engagement over the year, or how you would like to contribute to the Academy’s mission. This narrative should be limited to one single-spaced page.
- (1) One-page letter of support from a faculty member or learner who can speak to the applicant’s skills or interest in being a teacher.