All School of Medicine trainees (Residents, Chief Residents, Fellows, and Post-Doctoral scholars), including those at an Area Health Education Center (AHEC), are eligible to apply to the AOE.
Attendance (virtual or in-person) at four (4) AOE events before the year applying are required. Two (2) of these can be viewing the event recording on the AOE website, whereas two (2) should be attended synchronously. Please document these events within the personal statement.
Criteria for selection include excellence in and commitment to teaching and a desire to remain active as a teacher in the future career.
Resident/fellow/trainee membership in the AOE is terminated after training at UNC. Those who become faculty at UNC remain a part of the AOE. Individuals who return as faculty members later may contact email@example.com for the next steps.
Successful applicants will need to document accomplishments in ONE or more of the following six areas:
- Direct teaching or mentoring, including didactic or clinical teaching of medical and biomedical students, residents, fellows, graduate students, Post Docs, or other faculty
- Instructional development and curriculum design (including the development of medical/biomedical education resources)
- Student or resident advising and mentoring
- Educational administration and leadership
- Educational research
- Continuing medical/biomedical education resources
- January 10, 2023 – Call for applications/nominations released
- April 19, 2023, 11:59 PM EST – Deadline for receiving completed applications from all nominees.
- Mid-April 2023 – Selection Committee meets to select new members.
- First week of May 2023 – New members are announced.
- June 1, 2023 – Alan W. Cross Evening of Scholarship and induction of new members.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) with relevant teaching and education experience highlighted.
- Personal statement (limited to one single-spaced page) that includes the following elements:
- Description of your interest, roles, and accomplishments in teaching
- Why you wish to be considered for membership
- How you would like to contribute to the Academy’s mission
- List the names and dates of four (4) Academy of Educators events you have attended before applying
Completing the FLAGship (Fellow Leadership and Growth) or TARHEEL (Teaching As a Resident: Highlighting the Evidence and Enthusiasm of Learning) programs will automatically qualify participants for membership without the need for a full application. These participants should upload their CVs below but do not need to submit a personal statement.
Please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org@med.unc.edu with any questions or concerns.