Congratulations to Mark Heise, PhD, who has been named a 2018 Outstanding Mentor by the UNC Office of Postdoctoral Affairs!
Mark Heise, PhD, Professor, Department of Genetics (joint appointment with Microbiology and Immunology) is the recipient of the 2018 Outstanding Mentor Award from the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, along with Barbara Entwisle, PhD and Matthew Redinbo, PhD. The award recognizes faculty members or advisors who have engaged in exceptional mentoring of postdoctoral scholars as evidenced by the following:
- Has advocated for postdoctoral scholars.
- Has been accessible and provided open lines of communication to postdoctoral scholars.
- Has created a supportive environment for research; has shown respect for the postdoctoral scholars’ goals, and assisted them in fulfilling those goals.
- Has provided guidance in research career and assisting the postdoctoral scholars in building a professional network through generous sharing of contacts.
- Has demonstrated a sustained commitment to creating a productive working environment that enhances the overall postdoctoral experience.
The recipients will be recognized during the National Postdoctoral Appreciation Week luncheon on Friday, September 21, 2018 at noon, in the lobby of the FedEx Global Education Center. Each recipient will be presented with a plaque in recognition of being selected as an outstanding mentor at the awards ceremony in November.