Clinical Care Throughout the Community
UNC’s Division of Geriatric Medicine provides outpatient care through our award-winning Geriatrics Specialty Clinic in Chapel Hill and inpatient care at our Inpatient Geriatrics Service at UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus.
Our physicians serve older adults throughout the community in clinics located in continuing care retirement centers, longterm care nursing facilities, regional Program of All-inclusive Care of the Elderly (PACE) centers, and palliative care and hospice programs.
Our goal is to help older adults maintain health and independence by providing the highest quality of compassionate care to our patients.
Geriatricians are uniquely trained to provide primary care and specialist care, with expertise in issues related to all the organ systems and the ways that aging can affect these systems.
At our Geriatrics Specialty Clinic, we offer:
- Primary care with a focus on health maintenance and preventive care, along with diagnosis and treatment of serious illness, and management of multiple complex, chronic conditions
- Geriatric consultations on topics such as dementia, falls, or incontinence; a Geriatrics perspective in coordinating care with outside specialists such as cardiologists, oncologists, and more
- Pharmacy consultations to help with access to medications, managing medications, and understanding the impact of multiple medications
- A Geriatrics social worker with expertise in community services and caregiving resources, referrals to Home Health, Elder Abuse, and Advanced Care Directives
- Neurology and psychiatry consultations for patients experiencing neurological issues, memory loss, or depression
See the Geriatrics Specialty Clinic page for more information on the services we offer, making an appointment, and finding our clinic at 6011 Farrington Road in Chapel Hill.
Our Geriatric Inpatient Hospital Specialty Service at UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus offers a dedicated service for older patients. Division faculty, including physicians, Geriatrics-trained pharmacists, and nurses, provide care for hospitalized patients at our beautiful Hillsborough Campus.
If you may need hospitalization in the future, ask your physician about Hillsborough as an option. UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus has the only Geriatrics Emergency Department Accredited (GEDA) hospital in North Carolina. See our UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus page for more information.