Clinical Care Throughout the Community
UNC School of Medicine’s Division of Geriatric Medicine provides outpatient (primary) care through our Geriatrics Specialty Clinic in Chapel Hill and inpatient (hospital) care at our Inpatient Geriatrics Service at UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus.
We also serve older adults in continuing care retirement centers and longterm care nursing facilities, as well as palliative care and hospice programs.
Our privilege and passion is helping older adults maintain health and independence. Our goal is to provide the highest quality of compassionate care and support to patients and families.
With certifications in internal or family medicine and geriatric medicine, a Geriatrician is both family doctor (primary care physician) and specialist in diseases of aging. We understand how aging affects the body and how medications interact with aging brains and bodies. See here for more information on the benefits of seeing a Geriatrician.
At our Geriatrics Specialty Clinic, we offer:
- Primary care to maintain health, diagnose and treat illness, and manage chronic conditions
- Consultations on conditions related to aging (such as dementia, falls, or incontinence) and coordination of care with specialists like cardiologists, oncologists, and more
- Pharmacy consultations to help with access to medications, managing medications, and overmedication
- A Geriatrics social worker with expertise in caregiving resources, Home Health referrals, Elder Abuse, and Advanced Care Directives
- Neurology and psychiatry consultations for patients experiencing neurological issues, memory loss, or depression
To make an appointment or get directions, see the Geriatrics Specialty Clinic page.
The Geriatric Inpatient Hospital Specialty Service at UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus offers a dedicated service for older patients. Division faculty, including Geriatrics-trained physicians, pharmacists and nurses, provide care for hospitalized patients at our beautiful Hillsborough Campus.
If you may need hospitalization in the future, ask your physician about Hillsborough as an option. UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus is the first and only “silver” level Geriatrics Emergency Department Accredited (GEDA) hospital in North Carolina. See our UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus page for more information.