Clinical Care Throughout the Community
UNC School of Medicine’s Division of Geriatric Medicine provides outpatient (primary) care through our UNC Geriatrics clinic in Chapel Hill and inpatient (hospital) care at our Inpatient Geriatrics Service at UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus.
We also serve older adults in continuing care retirement centers and longterm care nursing facilities, as well as palliative care and hospice programs.
Our privilege and passion is helping older adults maintain health and independence. Our goal is to provide the highest quality of compassionate care and support to patients and families.
With certifications in internal or family medicine and geriatric medicine, a Geriatrician is both family doctor (primary care physician) and specialist in diseases of aging. We understand how aging affects the body and how medications interact with aging brains and bodies. See here for more information on the benefits of seeing a Geriatrician.
At UNC Geriatrics we offer:
- Primary care to maintain health, treat illness, and manage chronic conditions
- Consultations on conditions related to aging such as dementia, falls, or incontinence
- Coordination of care with specialists like cardiologists and oncologists
- Pharmacy consultations to help manage medications and reduce overmedication
- A Geriatrics social worker with expertise in Home Health referrals, elder abuse, advanced care directives and more
- Neurology and psychiatry consultations for patients experiencing neurological issues, memory loss, or depression
To make an appointment or get directions, see the UNC Geriatrics clinic page.
Our Inpatient Geriatrics service at UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus offers a dedicated service for older patients. Division faculty, including Geriatricians, pharmacists and nurses, provide care for hospitalized patients at our beautiful Hillsborough Campus.
If you may need hospitalization in the future, ask your physician about Hillsborough as an option. UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus is the first and only “silver” level Geriatrics Emergency Department Accredited (GEDA) hospital in North Carolina. See our UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus page for more information.