Chapel Hill, NC 27514
The N.C. Cancer Hospital is the flagship site for UNC Cancer Care and the clinical home of UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, where we are exerting an unprecedented effort to make strides against cancer and the suffering it causes is fueled by collaboration across the population, basic and clinical sciences.
The state’s only public cancer hospital, the construction of the 315,000 square foot facility was paid for through an $180 million authorization of funds from the N.C. General Assembly.
The N.C. Cancer Hospital was formally dedicated in September 2009, and tripled the amount of space available for treating cancer patients, and significantly increased the number of patients served.
- A healing atmosphere, created with input from patients, families and health care providers, including abundant natural light, indoor courtyards, gardens, public art and other amenities.
- Space for patients to be accompanied by a family member or caregiver in both the infusion area and patient rooms.
- A bright, cheerful pediatric waiting and treatment area, including a dedicated playroom, spaces for children to work with therapists and hospital school teachers and computer resources that allow kids to connect with other kids experiencing cancer.
- A dedicated clinical trials unit, giving North Carolina patients access to leading-edge treatments, often before they are available elsewhere.
- A telemedicine conference center, enabling real-time collaboration with doctors and oncologists across the state through participation in multidisciplinary team meetings.
- The Patient and Family Resource Center, part of the Comprehensive Cancer Support Program, which provides support resources tailored to each individual’s needs from initial diagnosis through survivorship.
- Multidisciplinary and other clinic space including 101 examination, treatment, consultation, and procedure rooms.
- State-of-the-art diagnostic imaging equipment including the latest advances in mammography, ultrasound and imaging-guided treatment.
- 50 inpatient beds for medical oncology and bone marrow transplant.
- 72 infusion stations for adults (48), children (14), and clinical trials (10).
- 3 Linear Accelerators for Radiation Therapy, including Intensity Modulated Radiation therapy (IMRT) a sophisticated alteration of radiation beams to better shape the radiation dose to the shape of the cancer. These machines also have Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) to better aim the beam at the cancer.
- 1 HDR or High Dose Rate Radiation Therapy room for treating localized tumors with radioactive implants.
Parking is available at the Dogwood Deck or via valet at the Manning Level of the Cancer Hospital. GO Triangle offers fare-free busing to the UNC Medical Center on many of its routes, as well as multiple bus routes to the UNC Medical Center from surrounding cities like Raleigh, Durham, Apex, Garner and Hillsborough. In the evening, we offer free shuttle service to all hospital parking lots and decks, the Ronald McDonald House, and Chapel Hill’s various Park and Ride Lots.
These shuttles operate from 5:30 p.m. – 1:30 a.m., every day, including weekends and holidays. In addition, the evening shuttle service is available to help valet customers retrieve their vehicles after the valet desk closes at 7:30 p.m. If you have questions about evening shuttle service, please call 919-810-6957.
We also offer an overnight shuttle service for patients and visitors that operates from 1:30 a.m. – 6:00 a.m. The free shuttle is available to transport patients and visitors back to all hospital parking lots and decks and all Chapel Hill Park and Ride locations. The shuttle is stationed outside of the Emergency Department. If you need the shuttle service but are located in another part of the Medical Center, Hospital Police can contact it for you.Phone Number: 984-974-0000