UNC OBGYN Department of Chair, Dr. Genevieve Neal-Perry accepted the Mentorship Award from SRI, Society for Reproductive Investigation, on March 15, 2024, at the 71st Annual Scientific Meeting in Vancouver, Canada.

The award was established in 2003 to annually recognize mentoring within the scientific community, with special emphasis on the career development of junior investigators in the field of reproductive health sciences. Dr. Genevieve Neal-Perry’s unwavering commitment to academic leadership and supporting career researchers played a pivotal role in her recognition and receipt of this award.

“It was truly a great honor to be recognized for the important work of mentoring within the first professional society I joined as a reproductive scientist and trainee,” said Dr. Neal-Perry. “I’ve personally experienced the immense value of mentorship from my own mentors and sponsors, many of whom were active members of SRI. This phase of my life feels like a time where I am entrusted to pay forward the support I’ve received. Mentoring provides me with a unique opportunity to give back and uphold this accountability to others.”

SRI’s vision for “transforming lives through excellence in reproductive health sciences,” started in 1953. The first official meeting of the Society of University Gynecologists was held on June 15, 1953, at the Yale Club in New York City, according to the SRI website. Currently, the society boasts more than 950 members spanning over 30 countries.