Providers are in a unique position to help in early identification of victims of interpersonal violence by asking about violence in their lives.
The Beacon Program can provide a wide variety of trainings for your staff-just give us a call at 984-974-0470.
Other training resources:
For child abuse
- Trainings provided by the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children
- Trainings provided by the National Children's Advocacy Center
- Online training with the Child Trauma Academy
For child exposure to domestic abuse
For domestic abuse
Screening for domestic abuse
- Visit www.medscape.com, create a login and search for "Domestic Violence and Your patient's Health: Asking the Right Questions"
- Short videos on effective screening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSO-nudEbcg&list=PLaS4Etq3IFrWgqgcKstcBwNiP_j8ZoBYK
For sexual assault
Note: you will have to create a password to sign in to access the training
For elder abuse
For human trafficking
1. Video trainings for providers: http://www.doc-path.org/path
You can present this material at a meeting or series of meetings, and/or invite providers to view the videos privately.
The “Slide Deck” at the end is a Power Point presentation about assessing and intervening with Child Sex Trafficking cases.
2.) National Human Trafficking Resource Center’s Training for Healthcare Professionals: http://traffickingresourcecenter.org/resources/recognizing-and-responding-human-trafficking-healthcare-context
3.) Rescue and Restore video: “Look Beneath the Surface” Can be used for presentations/trainings—gives a general overview of Human Trafficking. http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/endtrafficking/resource/look-beneath-the-surface
4.) Rescue and Restore: You can order excellent, free brochures, wallet and coat cards, and posters for health care providers (in multiple languages): These can be distributed to front-line providers. http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/orr/rescue-campaign
5.) Rescue and Restore Resource Guide; Goes in depth on available resources.
6.) Office on Trafficking in Persons Fact Sheets:
7.) Health clinic video that can be used in presentations/trainings: https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign/medical-clinic-video
8.) PEDS Human Trafficking webinar series from Children’s Hospital of Atlanta:
9.) Concealable cut & fold Leaflet for possible Human Trafficking victims. Victims are often in denial. This leaflet allows patients to assess and decide for themselves (from Give Way to Freedom):