Beacon Program Children’s Services
For Acute Cases
- Consultation by child maltreatment experts as requested by attending physician in the outpatient or inpatient setting
- Child physical examinations by child maltreatment experts
- Consultation (including clinical interviews, as needed) regarding hospitalized children by child maltreatment psychological experts
- Liaison with DSS, mental health, legal system, hospital police, local law enforcement, domestic violence agencies
For Non-Acute Cases
- Child physical examinations and clinical interviews by child maltreatment experts on an appointment basis in the Child Evaluation Clinic (CEC).
- Appointments are made by representatives from law enforcement, Division of Social Services, or a medical provider by faxing a consent form and an intake form to 984-974-0875. You will be called with the time of the appointment.
Child Evaluation Clinic Brochure
Intake and Consent Forms
- Child Evaluation Clinic Intake Form
- Medical Provider CEC Intake
- DSS/Medical Provider Consent Form (En Espanol)
- Law Enforcement Consent Form (En Espanol)
- Law Enforcement Request for Protected Health Information
- Consent form for Criminal Case Federal Court
- Consent form for Criminal Case State Court
- Consent form for Civil Case
Requests for Records
- To request your child’s general UNC Hospital records, including inpatient Beacon consult notes, contact medical records http://www.uncmedicalcenter.org/uncmc/patients-visitors/medical-records/.
- Beacon Program Child Evaluation Clinic reports are stored separately from the general medical records and are subject to different release requirements. Please note that in some cases, depending on the consent forms completed prior to the evaluation appointments, UNC Hospitals is only authorized to release the report to Child Protective Services.
For investigative professionals including CPS and law enforcement:
- To request general UNC Hospital records, contact the medical records department http://www.uncmedicalcenter.org/uncmc/patients-visitors/medical-records/
- If color pictures from the patient’s medical record are needed, the requestor should specify in the request that they need color copies of pictures saved to a disk.
- To request inpatient Beacon consult notes or Beacon Program Child Evaluation Clinic reports, please contact the Beacon Program at (919-966-0740 or 984-974-0470). In some cases, depending on the consent forms completed prior to the evaluation appointments, UNC Hospitals is only authorized to release the Child Evaluation Clinic report to Child Protective Services.
Directions to the Clinic
For directions to the clinic, questions or to report late arrival for an appointment, please call the Beacon Program office at 984-974-0470.