1. How do you manage to stay balanced and healthy in spite of the busy med school schedule?
I stay balanced mainly by being involved in activities outside of med school. This includes playing intramural sports, working out, snowboarding trips, and wellness events. I also take time to spend with my friends that does not involve studying.
2. Why do you want to become an advocate and what three qualities will you bring to the job?
Starting med school can be overwhelming for some. I want to give back by being there for students if they need help or have an issue to talk about. I can bring dedication, passion, and enthusiasm to the job.
3. What’s the most important piece of advice you would give to an MS1 at the beginning of the year?
Try to figure out what works for you as far as studying goes because you may study differently that you did in undergrad. Don’t stress out too much because 1st year is more about getting your feet on stable ground. Also don’t neglect you relationships with your friends/classmates, set time aside to hang out with them and have fun.
4. Tell us your favorite joke (PG-13 max, please). Your answer may exceed 1 sentence.
If you could be any enzyme what would you be? …… I would be DNA helicase, so I could unzip your genes (jeans).
5. If you could have any super power, what would it be? What would you have people call you?
High Five Heal – magically heal anyone by giving them a high five!!! Who needs med school; name: super Shawn…of course
6. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?