The UNC School of Medicine is dedicated to excellence in graduate research and training. The Office of Graduate Education (OGE) was established in service of this goal. The mission of the OGE is to:
- Foster excellence in graduate training
- Provide high quality services to faculty, graduate programs and the broader university community in support of outstanding graduate education
- Support graduate students from entry to post-graduate placement
- Provide career and professional training
- Facilitate community building and networking for our graduate students and the biological and biomedical sciences community at UNC Chapel Hill
- Attract and cultivate a community of diverse scholars in the biological and biomedical sciences at UNC Chapel Hill
- Serve the state of North Carolina by building connections with local and broader state communities through science outreach activities
Our mission is accomplished in diverse ways. These include administration of the Biological and Biomedical Sciences Program, an umbrella admissions and first year graduate program for students interested in our 14 PhD programs in the biological and biomedical sciences. We provide assistance to training grant directors in preparation of their grant submissions; this includes student data, information on responsible conduct of research statements and current diversity recruitment initiatives. We also administer a wide variety of programs to support graduate training and the larger biological and biomedical science community on campus. These programs are administered by the Science Training and Diversity (STaD) unit within our office, and include the Academic and Career Excellence (ACE) Program, Initiative for Maximizing Student Diversity (IMSD), Postbaccalaureate Research Experience Program (PREP), Graduate Training Program in Translational Medicine (PITM), Summer of Learning and Research (SOLAR), as well as our Training Initiatives in Biomedical and Biological Sciences (TIBBS).
If you have any questions or any suggestions please feel free to contact our office – we would love to hear from you.