Not everyone has access to a specialist who treats only older adults called a Geriatrician, but maybe everyone should. CGWEP efforts to develop Interprofessional Core Competency training will provide practitioners in rural and underserved areas with what they need to know about caring for the special needs of older adults.
Students and practicing professionals in Medicine, Social Work, Nursing and Pharmacy will benefit from enhanced training in coordinated interprofessional patient care, diagnosing cognitive disorders, responding to end of life issues following Palliative Care principles, assessing the functional needs of older adults and responding to Sensory Limitations.
These competencies have been endorsed by the following:
- American Academy of Nursing
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Geriatrics Society
- American Occupational Therapy Association
- Council on Social Work Education
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy
Training for pre-professional students
Students in each of the UNC Health Professions Schools will have training opportunities to participate in IPE case consultation in teams of up to 10 disciplines.
UNC has established an Office of Interprofessional Education and Practice to coordinate IPE efforts across campus.
Office of Rural Initiatives
The UNC Office of Rural Initiatives sponsors a Rural Inter-Professional Health Initiative