Falls is a quality measure that has long been a goal of the CGWEP. Between 2010 and 2015 we partnered with Mountain AHEC and Physical Therapy faculty from Western Carolina University to implement standardized falls risk screening for all patients over the age of 65 in 3 physician practices in the western part of North Carolina. In the summer of 2012 we reported an increase of 37% in falls screening rates showing a demonstrated improvement in practice and ultimately outcomes. Our research results were featured in 2 posters at the Gerontological Society of America.
Statewide Falls Prevention Coalition
Every year 1 in 4 older adults will fall. These falls are the leading cause of fatal injuries and the second leading cause of nonfatal injuries according to North Carolina Division of Public Health with an annual cost of $50 Billion dollars. In response, the NC Falls Prevention Coalition was formed with the aim, through education and training, of reducing the number of falls, falls-related injuries, and seriousness of injuries resulting from falls.
Local Coalitions in NC include:
- Dare County Falls Prevention Coalition
- The Eastern North Carolina Falls Prevention Coalition email
- High Country Regional Coalition email
- McDowell Balance
- Metrolina Falls Prevention Coalition email
- Piedmont Area Falls Prevention Coalition email
- Region A Health Promotion Coalition email
- Triangle Falls Coalition email
- Western North Carolina Falls Prevention Coalition email
- Yancey-Mitchell Community Fall Prevention