Aphasia-Friendly Printed Material
The purpose of this project is to help our community create written documents that are accessible for people with aphasia. Graduate students in the UNC School of Medicine Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences are teaming up with community members to address some of their needs while refining their skills and learning to improve the conversion process. Our work is based on the workshop “See Things My Way” from the March of Dimes Canada Aphasia and Communication Disabilities Program, developed by Rick Berry and Ruth Patterson.
If you would like more information about the training workshop, please contact Ruth Patterson, M.Sc. Reg. CASLPO, Clinical Coordinator, Alternative Communication Services, March of Dimes Canada, 13311 Yonge Street, Suite 202, Richmond Hill, Ontario L4E 3L6; Phone: (905) 773-7758 x 6268; Fax: (905) 773-3746; firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you Need Help with Your Written Documents?
We are accepting written materials to convert as part of a graduate course at UNC. If you have a need for specific aphasia-friendly material, you are invited to submit your request for our consideration. Please know a collaborative process is necessary for accuracy and brevity purposes. Therefore, it is important that you include your contact information and are able to respond to follow-up emails in a timely manner. Submit your request here.
Below is a collection of documents our students have created or converted so far.
- Conversation supports for a person with aphasia: Created by Anna Weinberg
- Conversation supports for a care-partner: Created by Anna Weinberg
(Translated to Spanish by Amy Munekata)
- Aphasia education: Created by Ginni Lam
Rehabilitation and intervention:
- Dysphagia management: Created by Mandie Oslund and Bridget Carlile
- Swallowing exercises: Created by Amy Munekata
- Modified Barium Swallow Study: Created by Bridget Carlile
- Levels of assist: Created by Bridget Carlile and Jennifer Barry
- Transportation supports for older adults: Converted by Mandie Oslund
- Pilates studio policies: Converted by Joel Fairchild
- Cafe drink menu: Created by Chrislain Bofill