Program Goals and Objectives
Upon completion of the UNC-Chapel Hill Master’s in Clinical Laboratory Science –Medical Laboratory Science Track, MLS graduates will be prepared to:
- Serve as leaders in the clinical laboratory profession in technical, educational, research and administrative roles.
- Critically analyze professional literature and apply that information in work settings.
- Communicate effectively with health care providers and the public.
- Continue to learn throughout their professional careers.
At the completion of the MCLS-MLS program, students will be able to:
- Explain the principles and methods used in molecular laboratory tests.
- Explain the clinical significance of molecular laboratory procedures in diagnosis and treatment of disease and maintenance of health.
- Interpret and evaluate patient results and suggest or select appropriate additional testing.
- Use quality assurance principles and practices to ensure the accuracy and reliability of laboratory information.
- Use the principles of method evaluation to select new techniques and instruments.
- Explain and apply the major principles and practices of laboratory administration, supervision and budgeting.
- Explain and apply principles of effective test utilization.
- Use educational methods to present information and develop instructional materials.
- Use research methods to design, conduct and disseminate results of studies on new technologies, procedures or diagnostic correlations in molecular science.
- Interpret, implement, and complying with laws, regulations and accrediting standards and guidelines of relevant governmental and non-governmental agencies.
- Apply principles of management to the acquisition and evaluation of laboratory information systems.
- Design, implement and evaluate resource management strategies to maintain optimal laboratory efficiency.
- Communicate effectively with laboratory personnel, other health care professionals, patients and the public.
- Communicate effectively in both written and spoken English.
- Formulate a strategic plan for professional career development.
- Develop and complete a Capstone project in advanced clinical laboratory practice, education, or laboratory operations.