Apply to Our Program
“We believe that the richness of a diverse workplace drives all to their very best, professionally and personally. Cultural humility is not only about relating to patients and their families; it is about building a culturally rich working environment. The patient population we serve at UNC Hospitals is remarkably diverse and, as such, diversity in our residency, fellowship, nursing, faculty and staff enables us to better serve their needs. Promoting diversity in our residency programs is the right thing for our institution, and enables us to provide the very best in clinical care, education, and research to the remarkable patients that we serve.”
– UNC School of Medicine, Office of Graduate Medical Education
CORD Universal day is TBA.
Applying to the UNC Orthopaedics: Five-Year and Six-Year Programs
UNC Orthopaedics offers both a five-year program and a six-year program that includes a research year. Use these identification numbers for ranking:
- 190038 for ranking the five-year program in Orthopaedics;
- 190086 for ranking the six-year program in Orthopaedics (that includes a year of research).
- You may rank the five-year program, the five-year and six-year program or the six-year program
We will accept applications only through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). If you decide to apply, the deadline for receipt of applications for the year 2023 will be October 31, 2022. All application materials should be submitted through ERAS. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Please note carefully that we require the following:
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation (you may send up to four letters of recommendation), preferably an orthopaedist, with whom you have worked professionally (not a resident). We will accept traditional letters of recommendation and/or AOA recommendation forms as long as the comment section has been completed on the form
- Applicants selected for interviews will be notified by e-mail.
- For the 2023 ERAS® cycle, our program will be participating to receive information from the supplemental ERAS application offered through the AAMC’s ERAS program. Applicants will be required to complete the MyERAS application, and participation in the supplemental ERAS application is optional. In its second year of use, the supplemental ERAS application is designed to help students share more information about themselves and assist our program in finding applicants that fit our programs’ setting and mission. There is no cost to applicants and participation is optional.
- The supplemental ERAS application includes:
- geographic preferences (by region and by urban or rural setting);
- information about their most meaningful experiences and other impactful life events, if applicable; and
- program signals.
- Initial invitations to access to the supplemental ERAS application will be delivered on August 1st. The supplemental ERAS application must be completed between August 1st and September 16th at 5:00pm ET.
- Please view the link below to UNC Hospitals institutional and program policy regarding eligibility for appointment to a residency training position:
- Are you accepting applications for 2023-2024?
- September 2022
- When are interviews?
- December 17, 2022
- January 7, 2023
- January 21, 2023
- Will the interviews be virtual?
- Do you accept foreign medical graduates?
- Yes. All graduates of foreign medical schools must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. All foreign graduates must meet all requirements of the Visa Qualifying Examination (VQE) or Foreign Medical Graduate Exam in the Medical Sciences (FMGEMS) prior to application. Per the University of North Carolina Graduate Medical Education Policy on Visas, UNC Hospitals will accept resident physicians who have been issued a J-1 visa and who hold a current ECFMG Certificate. H1-B visas are not sponsored at University of North Carolina Hospitals.
- What is the medical license requirement?
- The North Carolina Resident Training License
- Do you consider USMLE scores when selecting applicants to interview?
- Scores are considered as a part of the entire application. We have no exact cut off score.
- Do you offer observership/research opportunities?
- Is there a medical school graduation cutoff date?