Apply to Our Program
UNC Orthopaedics offers both a five-year program and a six-year program that includes a research year. Use these identification numbers:
- 190038 for ranking the five-year program in Orthopaedics;
- 190086 for ranking the six-year program in Orthopaedics (that includes a year of research).
We will accept applications only through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). If you decide to apply, the deadline for receipt of applications for the year 2018 will be October 31, 2017. All application materials should be submitted through ERAS. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Please note carefully that we require the following:
- a minimum of two letters of recommendation (you may send up to four letters of recommendation);
- one of which should come from the Chairman of Orthopaedics or Program Director
- one from another person, preferably an orthopaedist, with whom you have worked professionally (not a resident, please).
- we will accept traditional letters of recommendation and/or AOA recommendation forms as long as the comment section has been completed on the form
Applicants selected for interviews will be notified by e-mail.
Are you accepting applications for 2018-2019? Yes
When are interviews?
Saturday, December 9, 2017 and Saturday, January 6, 2018
Do you accept foreign medical graduates?
Yes. ALL graduates of foreign medical schools must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. All foreign graduates must meet all requirements of the Visa Qualifying Examination (VQE) or Foreign Medical Graduate Exam in the Medical Sciences (FMGEMS) prior to application. Per the University of North Carolina Graduate Medical Education Policy on Visas, UNC Hospitals will accept resident physicians who have been issued a J-1 visa and who hold a current ECFMG Certificate. H1-B visas are not sponsored at University of North Carolina Hospitals.
What is the medical license requirement?
The North Carolina Resident Training License
Do you consider USMLE scores when selecting applicants to interview?
Scores are considered as a part of the entire application. We have no exact cut off score.
Do you offer observership/research opportunities? No
Is there a medical school graduation cutoff date? No