Welcome to the UNC Health Care System (UNCHCS) Privacy Office.
Preserving the privacy and confidentiality of the patients of the UNCHCS is important to the UNC School of Medicine (UNC SOM) and our goal is to uphold the trust and confidence that our patients place in us to deliver high quality health care. The UNCHCS Privacy Office is committed to working with the UNC SOM to ensure the integrity of Protected Health Information (PHI). We aim to be a valued partner that guides students, faculty, staff, and all members of the UNC community in protecting patient privacy and responding to concerns raised under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
The UNCHCS Privacy Office serves as the first point of contact for all HIPAA related issues and standards at the UNC SOM. The functions of the Privacy Office include:
- Maintaining high privacy standards for the protection of our patients’ protected health information
- Promoting a culture of privacy and confidentiality throughout the UNC SOM and the UNCHCS
- Monitoring the privacy and security of PHI
- Providing consultation services and responding to questions from our patients and workforce regarding the disclosure of PHI
- Ensuring patients rights related to their PHI
- Supporting UNC SOM’s efforts of compliance for HIPAA and other laws and regulations regarding privacy
- Leading privacy breach response and notification efforts
If you have any questions or concerns about patient privacy, please contact our office.