How do I Apply to the CSFP?
Online application information
Only online applications are accepted.
When completing the online application, please have the following materials available (PDFs strongly encouraged):
- An essay describing your career goals, your motivations for wanting to participate in a summer research program, and any previous research experience.
- A curriculum vitae/resume, including any awards or honors.
- Names, Institutions, Titles, email addresses, and phone numbers of faculty who will be submitting letters of recommendation on your behalf. You will need at least one, and preferably two, letters of recommendation.
- Your current cumulative GPA.
- An electronic copy of your transcript to upload (unofficial is fine).
If you are not a U.S. Citizen
You will need electronic copies of the following documents, depending on what type of VISA you have.
Current UNC students who are not U.S. citizens are exempt from this requirement.
- Passport (front and back)
- I-20 (F-1 students only)
- EAD card (F-1 OPT students only)
- DS-2019 form (J-1 students only)
- Letter from your sponsor (J-1 students only) granting authorization to work in U.S.
- If you have a VISA other than F-1 or J-1, please contact us prior to application so you will know what documents to provide.
**Please be sure you have all your documents ready to upload when applying.