1st Year: Initial Guidance Committee
- In the first year BBSP students join a focus group (First Year Group) comprised of students and faculty advisors having related research interests.
- First Year Groups meet in an informal course setting to work on development of critical thinking and scientific communication skills.
- Please refer to BBSP website for more information: http://www.med.unc.edu/bbsp/focusgroups.html
2nd Year: 3-Member Thesis Committee (optional)
- consists of 3 faculty, selected by student; at least two of these must have a primary or joint appointment in the Department of Biochemistry & Biophysics
- Research Advisor submits Annual Progress Report within one week of the meeting of the committee
2nd Year: 5-Member Thesis Committee
- consists of at least 5 faculty, suggested by the student in consultation with the advisor
- must be selected by March 15 in the the 2nd Year.
- at least three of the committee members, including the advisor and the committee chair, must have a primary or joint appointment in the Department of Biochemistry & Biophysics; other members may be from other departments on this campus or other universities
- a listing of the suggested committee must be submitted in advance to the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS), Dr. Brian Strahl
- full committee is required to meet at least once a year and meetings are scheduled by the Student Services Manager, Brenda Brock
Role of the committe chair
- the chair will ensure that meetings are conducted properly and fairly as well as the Oral Exam and Thesis Defense
- after a meeting, the chair will complete the thesis committee's Annual Progress Report and return it within 48 hours to Student Services Manager, Brenda Brock
- chair's responsibilities continue until the student defends his/her final thesis and earns the Ph.D. degree.