1st Year: Initial Guidance Committee
- In the first year BBSP students join a focus group (First Year Group) comprised of students and faculty advisors having related research interests.
- First Year Groups meet in an informal course setting to work on development of critical thinking and scientific communication skills.
- Please refer to BBSP website for more information: http://bbsp.unc.edu/current-students/
2nd Year: 3-Member Thesis Committee (optional)
- Consists of 3 faculty, selected by student; at least two of these must have a primary or joint appointment in the Department of Biochemistry & Biophysics.
- Research Advisor submits Annual Progress Report within one week of the meeting of the committee.
2nd Year: 5-Member Thesis Committee
- Consists of at least 5 faculty, suggested by the student in consultation with the advisor
- Selected during Spring semester of the 2nd Year (usually in March)
- At least three of the committee members, including the advisor and the committee chair, must have a primary or joint appointment in the Department of Biochemistry & Biophysics; other members may be from other departments on this campus or other universities.
- A listing of the suggested committee must be submitted in advance to the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS).
- Full committee is required to meet at least once a year and meetings are scheduled by the Student Services Manager.
Role of the committee chair
- The chair will ensure that meetings are conducted properly and fairly as well as the Oral Exam and Thesis Defense
- After a meeting, the chair will complete the thesis committee's Annual Progress Report and return it within 48 hours to Lisa Phillippie (3024 Genetic Medicine Building).
- Chair's responsibilities continue until the student defends his/her final thesis and earns the Ph.D. degree.