Guidelines for Current Students
Welcome to the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics!
Please find below our guide to your time in our department. The graduate school describes policies that apply to all graduate students, which can be found here.
- Getting Started: From here you can get information about obtaining ID cards, keys, and links to other resources.
- Rotations: List of department faculty who are accepting rotation students.
- Important Deadlines: Provides a timeline for students to stay on track for graduation.
- Departmental Requirements: Outlines the requirements for students in the department regardless of track, as well track-specific requirements.
- Courses and Grades: Provides a list of course offerings and explains grading guidelines.
- Student Committees: How are they chosen? When should meetings occur? What is an Individual Development Plan? What is the role of each student’s committee chair?
- Research Advisor: This section explains the student’s selection process of a research advisor.
- Comprehensive Exam: This section provides information on the format and schedule for the comprehensive exams.
- Fellowships and Training programs: This section identifies external fellowships (during Years 1 and 2) and training programs that can help support the student’s research and training
- Leave Policy: New Policy in 2011
- Publication Requirement: Describes the publication requirement
- Your thesis: Brief description of thesis requirement, and link to graduate school formatting guidelines
- Resources for all current students This page contains information and links to UNC offices, guides, policies, and contacts relevant to bioscience graduate students.
- Community expectations: Expectations of Research Advisors and Students
- Student Mistreatment and Learning Environment Concern. Our goal is to provide an environment for students that is conducive to learning and free of all forms of harassment.
Director of Graduate Studies
8212 MEJ, #962-7331
Brian Kuhlman, PhD
Dir. of Biophysics Program
3044 GMB, #843-0188
Student Services Manager
3024 GMB, #843-9737
Click here to access the IDPandAnnualMeetingReport for student committee meetings.