(1990) MB, BCh, BaO: University College Dublin, National University of Ireland.
(1990-93) Medical Residency: Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland; European Certification in Pulmonary Medicine; Fellowship in Pulmonary Medicine; Member Royal College Physicians in Ireland.
(1992; 93-98; 99) Medical Residency: Royal College of Physicians in Ireland.
(2000-03) Fellowship, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
1. R Coakley, R Boucher. Pathophysiology: epithelial call biology, ASL channel functions including sweat gland and pancreas. In Hodson, Geddes & Bush: Cystic Fibrosis, Third Edition Hoder Arnold Health sciences, 2007 In press.
2. R Coakley, Jackson Stutts. Regulatory Functions of CFTR: In Progress in Respiratory Research: Cystic Fibrosis. A. Bush, London (Volume Editor) and E. Alton, London; J. Davies, London; U. Griesenbach, London; A. Jaffe, London (co-editors) S. .Karger AG, Basel. 2007 In press.
3. R Coakley, J Yankaskas. Lung Transplantation in Cystic Fibrosis. In Lung Biology in Health and disease Joseph Lynch Editor 2007 Volume 217 P121-148 Marcel Dekker, New York.
4. R Coakley, R Boucher, S. Fiel, DV Schidlow. Cystic Fibrosis. In Bone’s Atlas of Pulmonary Medicine. 3rd Edition. Editor J. Crapo Curent Medicine LLC, Philadelphia, PA. 2005 P43 25 pages.
5. C Taggart, R Coakley, Glynn P, S O'Neill, NG McElvaney. Surrogate Markers of Lung Destruction. In: LAM and other diseases of smooth muscle proliferation. Marcel Decker, New York, 1999. P553, 16 pages.
Publications in peer reviewed journals
1. M. Kennedy, R Coakley SH Donaldson, RM Aris, K Hohneker, JP Wedd, MR Knowles, PH Gilligan, J. Yankaskas. Burkholderia gladioli: Five year experience in a cystic fibrosis and lung transplantation center. J Cystic Fibrosis. 2006 In Press.
2. Yoon S S, Coakley R, Lymar SV, Lau GW, Schurr M, Hennigan RF, Hwang SH, Boucher RC and Hassett DJ. Anaerobic Killing of Mucoid Pseudomonas aeruginosa by Derivatives of Acidified Nitrite Under Conditions Characteristic of Cystic Fibrosis. J Clin. Invest. 2006 116 (2) 436-46
3. Coakley R, Gray T, Hirsh A, Thornton D, Kirkham S, Koo JS, Burch L, Boucher R, Nettesheim P. Regulation of MUC5AC Mucin Secretion and Airway Surface Liquid Metabolism by IL-1 in Human Bronchial Epithelia. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2004 286(2): L320-L330.
4. Coakley R, Grubb B, Paradiso A, Gatzy J, Johnson L and Boucher R. Abnormal surface liquid pH Regulation by Cultured Cystic Fibrosis Bronchial Epithelium. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 2003 Dec;100(26) 16083-16086.
5. Paradiso AM, Coakley R, Boucher RC. Polarized distribution of HCO3- transport in human normal and cystic fibrosis nasal epithelia. J Physiol (Lond) 2003 1;548(Pt 1):203-18.
6. Coakley R, Taggart C, McElvaney NG and O'Neill S. Cytosolic pH and the inflammatory microenvironment modulate cell death in human neutrophils after phagocytosis. Blood 2002 100(9):3383-91.
7. Coakley R, Taggart C, Greene C, McElvaney NG and O'Neill S. Microenvironmental pC02 regulates effector responses in human neutrophils. J Leucoc Biol, 2002 Apr;71(4):603-10.
8. Coakley R and Boucher RC. Regulation and functional significance of Airway surface liquid pH. J Panc 2001 2(4 suppl) 274-79.
9. Gillie DJ, Pace AJ, Coakley R, Koller BH and Barker PM. Liquid and ion transport by fetal airway and lung epithelia of NKCC1-deficient mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2001 Jul;25(1):14-20.
10. Coakley R. Regulation of Airway Surface Liquid pH in Cystic Fibrosis. Ped Pulm 2001 32 (22) 120-122.
11. Rooney, C, Taggart C, Coakley R, Coakley RD McElvaney NG and O'Neill S. C-ANCA mediated activation of human neutrophils is blocked by alpha-1 antitrypsin. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2001 Jun;24(6):747-54.
12. Coakley R, Taggart C, O'Neill S, McElvaney NG. Alpha1-antitrypsin deficiency: biological answers to clinical questions. Am J Med Sci, 2001 Jan;321(1):33-41.
13. Greene CM, Meachery G, Taggart CC, Rooney CP, Coakley R, O'Neill SJ, McElvaney NG. Role of IL-18 in CD4+ T lymphocyte activation in sarcoidosis. J Immunol 2000 Oct 15;165(8):4718-24.
14. Coakley R, Taggart C, Canny G, Greally P, O'Neill SJ, McElvaney NG. Altered intracellular pH regulation in neutrophils from patients with cystic fibrosis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2000 Jul;279(1):L66-74.
15. Taggart C, Coakley R, Greally P, Canny G, O'Neill SJ, McElvaney NG. Increased elastase release by CF neutrophils is mediated by tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-8. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2000 Jan;278(1):L33-41.
16. Glynn P, Coakley R, Kilgallen I, O'Neill S. Neutrophil CD11b and soluble ICAM-1 and E-selectin in community acquired pneumonia. Eur Respir J 1999 Jun;13(6):1380-5.
17. Rooney C, Taggert C, O'Neill SJ, McElvaney NG, Coakley R. Alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency. Ir Med J 1999 Jan-Feb 92(1):227-8.
18. Glynn P, Coakley R, Kilgallen I, Murphy N, O'Neill S. Circulating interleukin-6 and interleukin-10 in community acquired pneumonia. Thorax 1999 Jan;54(1):51-5.
19. Keane MP, Coakley R, Costello R, O'Neill SJ. Effect of growth hormone on human alveolar macrophage oxidative metabolism. Thorax 1997 Sep;52(9):818-9.
20. Hone SW, Donnelly MJ, Robertson J, Coakley R, O'Neill S, Walsh MJ. Dysphonia and inhalation of corticoids: a prospective study. Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol, 1996;117(4):331-3.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Campus Box #7248
Phone: (919) 966-5602
Phone: (919) 966-2531
Fax: (919) 966-5178