"We are proud that 80% of the patients that come to UNC Rehabilitation are able to be discharged back into the community. This is significantly higher than the national average of 76% for patients being discharged from rehabilitation centers."
—Barbara Adcock Mohr, PT, Administrative Director of Rehabilitation Services, UNC Health Care
The UNC Health Care Rehabilitation Center, located on the 7th floor of UNC Memorial Hospital, features 42,000 square feet dedicated to inpatient acute rehabilitation. Our 30-bed inpatient facility is designed to provide top quality rehabilitative care within a patient- and family-centered environment. The interdisciplinary health care team consists of rehabilitation physicians (physiatrists) and psychologists, as well as colleagues from other departments such as rehabilitation nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists, recreational therapists and clinical care managers. The center assists patients with a wide variety of diagnoses, conditions and injuries.
The UNC Difference
Located within the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions, the Rehabilitation Center combines state-of-the-art amenities with homelike comforts to offer our patients the most progressive rehabilitative care in North Carolina.
With a carefully selected color scheme and artwork, ambient lighting and comfortable furnishings, our goal is to provide top quality care within a truly therapeutic environment.
The UNC Rehabilitation Center is certified by the Joint Commission and has been awarded accreditation by CARF, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.
Our Rehabilitation Team
An interdisciplinary team of healthcare professionals addresses the special needs of each patient. All team members combine their individual expertise to create the best possible treatment program.
Our team consists of the following:
• Physiatrists, physicians specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation as well as other rehabilitation specialties, prescribe and oversee the treatment program for each patient.
• Rehabilitation Registered Nurses provide care 24 hours a day; they help to increase independence in the activities of daily living, medication management, wound care and safety.
• Physical Therapists work to improve strength, balance, coordination, endurance and mobility.
• Occupational Therapists provide assistance in regaining activities of daily living, such as eating, grooming, bathing and dressing.
• Speech-Language Pathologists evaluate and treat disorders of swallowing and communication; they also treat cognitive impairments, which can include trouble speaking, understanding, planning, organizing, remembering or solving everyday problems.
• Recreational Therapists provide treatment designed to increase independence in life activities; they also facilitate community reintegration and barrier education.
• Clinical Care Managers, consisting of social workers and registered nurses, provide assistance with any emotional, social, community or financial concerns impacting treatment.
• Rehabilitation Psychologists/Neuropsychologists help patients and families cope with the unpredictable and sometimes unchangeable aspects of chronic illness and disability.
Our Interdisciplinary Programs
The UNC Health Care Rehabilitation Center strives to optimize each patient’s physical function – including self-care, mobility, bowel and bladder management, speech, swallowing, adaptation to disability and potential for vocational productivity. The Rehabilitation Center’s continuum of services includes inpatient care, sub-acute services and outpatient clinics, as well as hospital and community support groups.
Our Rehabilitation Center treats individuals with a variety of conditions including, but not limited to, the following:
• Neurological and Neuromuscular Conditions: stroke, brain tumor, transverse myelitis and Guillain-Barre syndrome
• Traumatic or Acquired Brain Injury: Rancho Los Amigos scale IV or higher
• Spinal Cord Injury: C4 and below
• Amputation: pre- and post-prosthesis
• Burns: including Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis
• Musculoskeletal Disorders: polyarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
• Postsurgical Patients: brain, spinal, orthopedic and general
Our Rehabilitation Center has several unique features to maximize the patient recovery process, including the following:
• Brain Injury Wing: Four rooms are dedicated to patients with traumatic or acquired brain injuries, featuring soothing decor and video monitoring.
• Dining/Activity Room: Featuring a fully equipped kitchen, movie theater system and baby grand piano, the room serves as the hub for patient and family interactions. Education Resource Center: Patients and family members can access a variety of books,
medical journals, pamphlets, videos and computers with internet access.
• Transitional Living Apartment: Patients and their care providers practice skills in a fully equipped two-room apartment in order to experience some of the challenges they may encounter after discharge.
For more information on inpatient services, or to make an inpatient rehabilitation referral, please call the Rehabilitation Center’s referral line: 919-966-5929.
Please leave your name, number, and a brief message, and your call will be returned within one business day.
N.C. Memorial Hospital, 7th Floor
101 Manning Drive
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514
Nursing Station: 919-966-5667