12 months ago
Fostering Collaboration in the School of Medicine
Much of the incredible research done in the School of Medicine is rooted in collaboration and interdisciplinary projects that takes advantage of the breadth of research done in the school and the diverse expertise held by our researchers. Below are some resources to help find collaborators, find pilot funding for new projects, and learn about all of the research activities done in our unit.
What does the SOM Office of Research Do?
- Works on implementation of the SOM Strategic Plan includes promoting team science, supporting departmental equipment infrastructure, supporting core facilities, expanding computational/informatics infrastructure and access, and working with regional partners.
- Provides strategic investments for TTSA/ECBR Pilot Awards, Shared Equipment Grant costshares, Startup packages, Retention packages, and Bridge funding. See our Funding Resources for further information
- Supports development of grant proposals (especially training and instrumentation grants) and interdisciplinary programs in a variety of ways.
- Conducts the SOM review for some limited awards. Check the Calendar of Award Deadlines for more information on deadlines and administrative contacts.
- Promote faculty recognition for awards and honors
- Enhances administrative support for Core Facilities and works on enabling access to cutting edge technologies.
- Works with the SOM Planning Office and SOM administrative units to efficiently maximize SOM space allocation.
- Works closely with the SOM Office of Graduate Education to enhance the training of next generation researchers.
- Coordinates support for Conflict of Interest management in the SOM.
- Responds to allegations of Research Misconduct and supports Research Integrity
SOM Research Snapshot
$620M+ in Research Funding
#5 Public Medical School for NIH Funding
All Basic Departments – Top 10 for NIH Funding
11 Clinical Departments – Top 25 for NIH Funding
2035 Full Time Faculty
2 Nobel Prize Winners
24 National Academy Members
524 Graduate Students
363 Postdoctoral Scholars
844 Medical Students
50+ Core Facilities
57 Interdisciplinary Centers, Institutes & Programs
34 NIH Training Programs
265 Active US Patents
150+ Startup Companies
*current as of November 2023