The UNC Orthopaedics’ Sports Medicine team is the primary orthopaedic provider for UNC athletes. We offer a unique blend of experience and innovation to our patients and thoroughly understand both the importance and risks of sports. Our team is intimately familiar with the injuries and solutions that are common among all levels of athletic abilities, professionals to weekend warriors. We are also researchers working with athletes to help prevent injury and expedite recovery.
Sports medicine encompasses many conditions and injuries outside of the “sports” arena. Most muscle or activity-related injuries and conditions are treated by our Sports Medicine orthopaedists. Offering routine ACL reconstruction, along with unique minimally-invasive treatments like cartilage restoration, are only a few reasons why the UNC Orthopaedics’ Sports Medicine team is in a league of their own.
Our sports medicine orthopaedists work closely with athletic trainers, physical therapists and coaches to protect young athletes. We provide free physicals to the local area high school athletes twice a year.
- ACL reconstructions
- Multi-ligament reconstructions
- Treatment of articular cartilage injury, including microfracture, OATS, allograft, or Carticel
- Osteotomy and partial/total knee arthroplasty
- Arthroscopic surgery for meniscus and meniscus transplants
- Management of shoulder pain and rotator cuff disease
- Rotator cuff repair including revision surgery and tendon transfers
- Comprehensive management of shoulder instability
- Reverse and conventional total shoulder arthroplasty including resurfacing, hemi-arthroplasty, and total shoulders
- PRP – Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy
- Tenex procedures
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound