UNC Graduate School admissions application are available here. For all questions regarding the Apply Now application system, admission and transcript instructions, additional requirements for international students and more, please consult UNC graduate admissions site.
Applications to the MS program in occupational therapy are due by 11:59 PM EST on the first Tuesday in December for enrollment in the fall of the following year (December 3, 2019 to begin fall of 2020). This is our only admissions cycle, as we do not accept students to start in semesters other than the fall semester. No applications are reviewed until after all applications are submitted on the first Tuesday in December.
Step One: Make an account
- If you are a new applicant to UNC-Chapel Hill, you will be prompted in the online application to create an account. To create your account, you will be asked for your name and email address. The system will send you an email with a temporary PID. You will then be able to log in and create your own password to access the application at any time until you submit. Once submitted, you cannot edit or add to your application.
Step Two: Start the application
- Once you are logged in, you will be able to start your application on the “Program of Study” page. On the left sidebar, you will see the different sections of the application. Please read through the instructions carefully before starting your application. For the section on Program of Study, you will be prompted to select a major. If you are applying to the Master of Occupational Therapy program, ensure that you select Occupational Therapy (not Occupational Science) from the drop-down menu. Select the Degree (Master of Science) from the drop-down menu and follow the online instructions to continue with the various parts of the application.
You do not need to complete the application in one sitting. You can save the application and continue working on it at a later date by returning to https://applynow.unc.edu/apply/ and signing in with your email address and password.
Step Three: Submit materials
- Letters of Recommendation: You will be asked in the online application to provide the name, credentials and email addresses for three references. These references will be contacted directly through the application system and asked to provide a recommendation for your application. Within the email they receive, there will be instructions about how to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. An applicant can tell when the recommendation(s) have been received by logging in to her/his application. You do not have to have all the letters in before submitting your application.
- Transcripts: Applicants must upload electronic copies of transcripts from any previous college-level institutions at which they have taken classes. All transcripts are to be uploaded to the application. DO NOT MAIL TRANSCRIPTS.
Please Note: If you are in the process of taking one or more prerequisite courses in the fall and will have an updated transcript at the end of the fall semester (after our application deadline), you will be able to upload one additional transcript after the application deadline. Please do this as soon as possible in order for those grades to be considered with the rest of your application.
- GRE Scores: Official GRE Scores must be submitted to the graduate school. In order for GRE scores to be received on time, it is recommended that applicants take the exam no later than mid-November. Scores must be no more than 5 years old. The school code for the Graduate School at UNC is 5816; there is no department specific code required. The Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy requires only the GRE general test, not a specific subject test.
Please note: Official GRE scores are not matched with your application until the application is submitted. Therefore, your GRE scores will show up as “missing” when you submit your application – don’t worry about this. They will be matched up within about a week!
- Statement of Purpose: The prompt for the statement of purpose can be found through the online application system and is detailed on the Graduate School’s website. Click on Degrees and Programs and select Occupational Therapy from the drop-down list of programs for the prompt. USE THIS PROMPT RATHER THAN THE GENERIC ONE ON THE APPLICATION ITSELF.
Step 4: Upload supplemental materials
- Directions for supplemental portions of the application can be found at the Graduate School’s website – click on Degrees and Programs and select Occupational Therapy from the drop down list. Please note that we require a brief reflective statement and chart outlining your OT observation experiences.
Step 5: Submit your application
- Use the review link in the navigation menu on the left side of the application to make sure you have included all required information and documents before submitting your application.
Please note: Applicants should be aware that a felony conviction may affect a graduate’s eligibility to sit for the NBCOT certification examination or to attain state licensure. We suggest that applicants contact the NBCOT with any questions about their background that could impact eligibility for professional credentialing.