HeelStream Streaming Media
HeelStream is Moving to UNC Panopto
Last spring Panopto purchased Ensemble Video, the company behind our School of Medicine (SOM) HeelStream streaming media service. Because of this, we are migrating HeelStream recordings to UNC Panopto during winter and spring 2022.
Many of the UNC Panopto benefits include:
- Similar features for managing, sharing, and embedding recordings
- Automatic transcription and closed captioning
- A feature-rich video and transcription editor
Please Note: As with HeelStream, no patient Protected Health Information (PHI) can be included in UNC Panopto recordings.
Please see below for steps Library owners need to take and other important information. You can also visit our Lecture Capture home page for information about UNC Panopto.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
HeelStream Migration Details
- Migration is scheduled to begin January 18 and complete by April 29, 2022.
- There are important steps each library owner must take during and after migration (see Actions Library Owners Must Take below).
- Migration happens in the background and will not affect your embedded and linked HeelStream recordings.
- HeelStream will still be available for managing and streaming your content.
- Once migration begins, any new recordings must be uploaded to Panopto.
- You can request a Panopto folder by visiting visit our Classroom Support page and clicking Request Help.
- We encourage all HeelStream Library owners to sign up for one of our HeelStream Migration Training sessions, which covers these steps in detail. There is also an on-demand recording available for viewing.
- During Migration
- Log into HeelStream and note what access controls you have on your recordings and playlists.
- Access controls are removed during migration and must be reapplied in UNC Panopto.
- Delete any recordings you do not want migrated.
- Log into UNC Panopto at least once to have an account created.
- If you no longer need your HeelStream library, please contact us to let us know.
- After Migration
- Log into UNC Panopto to reapply your access controls to your migrated recordings and playlists.
- Recordings will continue to stream from HeelStream for several weeks to allow time to make these changes.
- The timeline for this depends on the migration completion date and will be announced.
- Afterward, all HeelStream links and embed codes will be redirected to UNC Panopto.
- Eventually you will need to change your HeelStream links and embed codes with the ones created in UNC Panopto, but this is not as urgent. The timeline for this is yet to be determined and will be announced in advance to allow time for making these changes.
- For questions, please see our Migration FAQs below or visit our Classroom Support home page and click Request Help.
Can I include patient Protected Health Information (PHI) in my UNC Panopto recordings?
No. As with HeelStream, UNC Panopto cannot store or stream recordings with PHI.
What if I have signed consent from the patient?
Even with patient consent, Panopto cannot be used to store and stream PHI.
When will migration be complete?
Migration is scheduled to complete by April 29, 2022. We will update our website and send announcements if this changes.
Can I use UNC Panopto before or during the migration?
Yes. UNC Panopto is available to all UNC faculty and staff. If you want to start using UNC Panopto now, you can request setup and a short training by visiting our Classroom Support website and clicking Request Help.
Can I continue using my HeelStream library during migration?
Yes. Migration will happen in the background and will not affect your recordings. However, you will not be able to upload recordings to HeelStream once migration begins.
Can I upload recordings to my HeelStream library during migration?
No. Once migration begins, any new recordings need to be uploaded into UNC Panopto. If you do not have a Panopto folder, you can request one and a short training by visiting our Classroom Support website and clicking Request Help.
Can I merge my migrated HeelStream recordings with recordings I currently have in UNC Panopto?
Yes. Recordings are easily moved by clicking and dragging the recording titles or folders to the desired location. This is covered in our HeelStream Migration Training sessions.
What steps do I need to take before migration?
There are no steps you need to take prior to migration. However, if you want to start using Panopto now, you can request setup and a short training by visiting our Classroom Support website and clicking the Request Help button.
What steps do I need to take during and after migration?
These steps are listed above under Actions Library Owners Must Take. We encourage all HeelStream Library owners to sign up for one of our HeelStream Migration Training sessions to learn about the steps you need to take during and immediately after migration. There is also an on-demand recording available for viewing.
Will my HeelStream URL links and embed codes be redirected?
Yes, all HeelStream URLs and embed codes will be redirected after migration is complete. However:
- You will need to reapply your viewing access controls in UNC Panopto prior to the redirects being enabled.
- The redirects will not be permanent. You will eventually need to change your links and embed codes to the ones created by UNC Panopto.
- Please see Actions Library Owners Must Take
What will happen to my HeelStream playlists?
Your HeelStream playlists will be migrated and rebuilt in UNC Panopto. Like the individual recordings, viewer access controls will be removed and need to be reapplied in UNC Panopto.
Where can I go for questions or support?
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact us, and we’ll be glad to help.
- Before requesting services, clients should familiarize themselves with the policies for using HeelStream. Use of the HeelStream system is subject to the User Agreement.
- Patient Protected Health Information (PHI) cannot be recorded or uploaded under any circumstance.
To request specific services, please use our Online Request Forms:
- Requests for tech support and information may be submitted as a ticket.
- The ATS Instructional Media Services Team
- ATS Instructional Media Services