Autoimmunity & Immunodeficiency Mediated Lung Disease Clinic
At UNC, we have established an interdisciplinary team of leading doctors from Allergy, Immunology, and Rheumatology and Pulmonology who work closely together and coordinate the care of children with respiratory complications from immune-mediated disorders.
By holding a combined clinic, patient-families can be seen by multiple specialists at each visit. This reduces the need for families to attend separate doctors’ appointments and improves overall coordination and communication between all members of the care team. For some of our patients, other organ systems might also be affected. When this is the case, we also work to incorporate and streamline consultations and visits with other specialists as much as possible.
What causes Immune-Mediated Lung Disease?
For some children with disorders of autoimmunity, immune deficiency, or immune dysregulation, their disease can end up severely affecting their lungs and other organs. These disorders can be linked to a child’s genes, result from certain infections or environmental exposures, or, for some children, the underlying cause may be unknown.Immune system disorders that have been linked to respiratory disease:
- Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA) associated vasculitis
- Chronic granulomatous disease
- Common variable immunodeficiency (CVID)
- COPA syndrome
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis
- Hyper Immunoglobulin E (IgE) syndrome
- Hyper Immunoglobulin M (IgM) syndrome
- Idiopathic bronchiectasis
- Immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency
- Juvenile dermatomyositis
- Systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Systemic sclerosis and scleroderma
- Undifferentiated and Mixed connective tissue disease with pulmonary manifestations
- Other or Unclassified immunodeficiencies
Evaluating and Treating Immune-Mediated Lung Disease
Our team will work with your family and other specialists at UNC to create a comprehensive plan to evaluate, monitor, and treat your child. At UNC, we have expertise and access to state-of-the-art screening and diagnostic tools to diagnose and monitor your child’s underlying disease. Because each underlying disorder is different, we will work with your family to create an individualized management and treatment plan that is optimal for your child.