ThermoFisher Scientific Talos Arctica G3
- 200 keV transmission electron microscope.
- Schottkey Emitter.
- Two Condenser Lens system.
- Constant power C-Twin object lens with Cs = 2.7 mm.
- Autoloader capable of holding 12 cartridges.
- Ceta 4096 x 4096 pixel CMSO CCD.
- Gatan K3 5,760 x 4,092 pixel direct electron detector.
- Automated data collection using SerialEM.
- Capable of obtaining near atomic resolution for single-particle cryoEM.
- Benchmarked with Apoferritin sample 1.8 Å resolution based on FSC=1.34.
- Can be reserved on iLAB https://uncch.ilab.agilent.com/
Vitrobot Mark IV
- Used to prepare cryo-grids by rapid immersion in liquid ethane/propane mixture.
- Located in Glaxo Research Building room 011 across the hall from the Talos Arctica.
- Available for general use M-F 9 AM-7 PM. If you would like to use the Vitrobot after-hours or over the weekend, please contact the Core Director.
- Can be reserved using the iLab. https://uncch.ilab.agilent.com
- Used to render TEM grids hydrophilic by glow discharging (plasma cleaning with air).
- Located in the cryo-prep room across the hall from the microscope control room.
Tergeo-EM plasma cleaner
- Plasma cleaner is capable of producing indirect or direct plasma derived from argon and oxygen. Used to render UltrAufoil and Quantifiol TEM grids hydrophilic.
ThermoFisher Biocane 34 and Subangstrom Pucks
- Liquid nitrogen dewar used for long-term storage of cryo-grids.
- Maintained by the cryoEM Core Staff.
- Can accommodate 6 cane (60 pucks: 600 cryogrid boxes: 2,400 cryogrids).
- If you like to store your samples at the core, please let us know.
If you would like to learn how to prepare your own cryo-grids:
- Setup iLAB account with accurate billing information.
- Read CryoEM101 — Chapter 1 Sample Preparation and 2 CryoEM Grid Preparation.
- Watch Grant Jensen CryoEM Course – Unit 2 Sample Preparation.
- Read UNC CryoEM Vitrobot Protocol.
- Contact the Core Director and ask to schedule a training session.
- Once the Core Director feels you are competent to operate the Vitrobot you will be able to use it without supervision and after hours.