Standardizing Pediatric Discharge from NC Children’s Hospital
Katie Westreich, MD
May-Britt Sten, MSN, RN, CPHQ
Standardize discharge process for pediatrics residents throughout NC Children’s Hospital by July 1, 2018.
2018 IHQI Symposium Presentation Slides
- Our multidisciplinary team created a standardized Discharge Planning Tool.
- The DPT was rolled out to all medical services and the PICU throughout the 2017-2018 academic year, and performance was successfully sustained during the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Multidisciplinary medication reconciliation at bedside became the standard practice on the majority of medical services.
- Residents endorsed higher quality discharges and greater confidence in their ability to safely discharge patients.
- Three successive years of pediatrics residents were trained to effectively and safely discharge patients, which has now been incorporated into the UNC pediatrics curriculum.
- 2018 Pediatrics Academic Societies Annual Meeting
- 2019 Pediatrics Hospitalist Society Annual Meeting