Pharmacology welcomed new students to the department with a May Fest celebration May 20, 2016. The event, which was attended by 77 members of the Pharmacology department, was held on the new patio in front of the Genetic Medicine Building and featured Great Food–BBQ from the Q Shack, Games– putt putt golf & a bean bag throw, Prizes, and a Basketball Shoot Off Competition between Faculty and Student teams.
Welcome New Students!
All our new pharmacology graduate students and CSF students were given a big welcome along with their very own Pharmacology t-shirts!
New Graduate Students
- Megan Agajanian, (Joining Ben Major’s Lab)
- Kevin Knight, (Joining Henrik Dohlman’s Lab)
- Raquel Martinez Chacin, (Joining Kenneth Pearce and Cyrus Vaziri Lab’s)
- Waylin Yu, Joining Tom Kash’s Lab)
Carolina Summer Fellows Program Students
- Wendy Klein (George Mason student working with Rob Nicholas)
- Brandon Koo (Rensselaer Polytech Institute student working with Lee Graves)
- Christina Kresser (UNC student working with Channing Der)
- Maria Miggs (UNC student working with Mauro Calabrese)
- Tim Qi (UNC student working with Klaus Hahn)
- Ami Shiddapur (UNC student working with Tom Kash)
- Daniel Zeitouni (UNC student working with Channing Der)
Door Prizes Winners!
Those who wore their Pharmacology t-shirt to the event or were one of the first twenty-five people to register for May Fest were eligible to win a door prize. Congratulations to the winners!
It was the Faculty Team vs. the Student Team! Players were enthusiastic and the competition was keen!
- The Student basketball team members: Sam Eaton, Denis Okumu, Samantha Miller and Derek Franklin.
- The Faculty basketball team members: Mauro Calabrese, Jonathon Schiller, Channing Der (substituting for Jen Jen Yeh) and Ben Major.
And the winning team was…..the Faculty team…by a wide margin–460 to 120! (Hey Student team — you all need to be practicing up for next time!)
This leaves the overall score between the Faculty and Student teams as 1 to 1 (when added to the score from the Halloween Treats and Trivia Event last fall, when the Student team beat the Faculty team). So who will win next time? Be sure to come to our next event to find out!
For being good sports and playing in the drizzle, all the shoot off players got to keep one of the mini-basketballs used in the game.
We had good attendance and we’re glad everyone had a good time getting to know each other while munching out on some delicious BBQ. Many thanks to Nicole Arnold, our Student Services Manager, and the Pharmacology administrative staff for organizing and staffing the event!