Nourish to Flourish – Week 2
Our Reactions to Stress
In this session, we will revisit concepts of mindful awareness, learn how stress affects the mind and body, and use body scans to become familiar with bringing mindful awareness to bodily experiences and sensations.
- Please click the following link to be directed to the Participant Manual – Week 2
Home Practice Assignment
- Practice body scan once a day, 2 out of 7 days this week
- Guidelines for doing the body scan:
- Regardless of what happens (falling asleep, losing concentration, being distracted by thoughts, emotions or physical sensations), stay with the practice. You can do it!
- These are your experiences in the moment. All you have to do is be aware of them even if your mind is wandering.
- This is not a competition. This is a time for quiet and privacy.
- Be open to whatever you experience during the body scan.
- Cultivate an attitude of openness, curiosity and friendly acknowledgement about what is here right now. There is no need to fight off or suppress any unpleasant thoughts, emotions or sensations-or to hold onto pleasant ones.
- You don’t have to like the body scan. The most important thing is to stick with it and see what happens.
Daily Life Practice
- Take a few moments each day to pay attention to thoughts, emotions and physical sensations. Try to notice them without judgment or story. Name emotions… anger, fear, love, joy, sadness, shame, no need to go into why you are feeling them or if they are good or bad.
Health Topic Resources
- Mind Body Connection
- Diaphragmatic Breathing:
- Our Reactions to Stress Videos:
- Body Scan Meditation: