Questions to Ask Your Kidney Doctor
Questions to use as a guide to help improve your understanding of kidney disease.
These questions will help you communicate with your doctor
and learn more about how to care for your kidneys!
To download a copy of these questions for yourself, click here!
About tests and results:
- What is my GFR? What does that mean?
- Has my GFR changed since last time?
- What is my urine albumin level? What does that mean?
- Has my urine albumin changed since the last time it was checked?
- Is my kidney disease getting worse?
- Is my blood pressure where it needs to be?
- What should my blood pressure be?
- Will I need dialysis or a transplant soon?
About treatment and self-care:
- What can I do to keep my kidney disease from getting worse?
- Do any of my medicines or doses need to be changed?
- Does what I eat need to be changed?
- Do my foods have the right amount of protein, salt (sodium), potassium, and phosphorous?
- What do I need to do to protect my veins?
- What other health problems may I face because of my kidney disease?
- Should I be looking for any symptoms? If so, what are they?