The CCCDP will cover the cost of hearing technology, which is not covered by medical insurance or other health care programs. UNC based hearing services are covered as well. For cochlear implant patients, out of pocket expenses after insurance may also be covered if the child is determined to be a candidate. The Program funds only necessary devices, and is not intended to pay for replacement of working equipment.
Each patient is required to be evaluated by the Program’s Audiology and physician staff. This evaluation is at no cost to the patient. Private Insurance will be billed and the grant will cover any remaining expenses. Other professional ENT-related services at UNC Hospitals may also be funded by the Program on a case-by-case basis. Professional services outside of UNC and fitting or dispensing fees (including those at UNC) are the responsibility of the family. The grant does not pay for lost or damaged devices; therefore, it is very important for families to obtain loss and damage insurance on their child’s equipment.
Summary of Benefits
The CCCDP, after insurance has paid, will pay for:
- UNC-CH Hospitals’ bills for Hearing Related Charges
- Hearing Aids – Up to Mid End Digitals, replaced every 5 years.
- Repairs to Hearing Aids not covered by insurance.
- Cochlear Implant Evaluation to determine if child is a candidate for an implant.
- Implant devices, accessories, service, and hospital charges for Implant Candidates.
What’s Not Covered:
- Hearing Aid Fitting Fees
- High End Digital Hearing Aids
- FM Systems
- Hearing Aid Batteries
- Non-Hearing Related Hospital bills
- Professional Services outside of UNC
- Replacement of working equipment
- Covered UNC-CH Hospital Bills received by families must be sent to CCCDP.