Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellow – Class of 2024
Hometown (Birthplace): Dallas, TX
Undergraduate Degree: 2008 – BA – The College of William and Mary (Economics)
MD: 2018 – Louisiana State University School of Medicine – New Orleans, LA
Residency: 2023 – Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD
Hobbies: Spending time with my wife and daughter, cooking, golfing, fly fishing
I was really drawn to the complexity of head and neck anatomy during medical school. I also really enjoyed the variety of pathology you can treat in our field. One day, you can remove a cancer from an elderly patient and the next day fashion a new ear for a child who was born without one. Doesn’t get much better than that. What really sold it for me was the people, and I have been very lucky to have incredible mentors throughout my training.
UNC offered one of the most clinically active, comprehensive Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery fellowships in the country. Additionally, there was a strong emphasis on the academic mission: taking on complex cases, teaching, and a dedication to moving the field forward. I was drawn to Dr. Clark’s passion for training excellent surgeons and Dr. Miller’s UNC facial nerve center, where I could continue my interest in taking care of patients with facial paralysis.
Fun Fact: I was a 4 year NCAA collegiate golfer
- Miller JR, Frick KD, Gourin CG. Hospital Markup in Head and Neck Cancer Surgery in the US. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2022 Dec 1;148(12):1147-1155. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2022.3340. PMID: 36301556; PMCID: PMC9614678.
- Miller JR, Tanavde V, Razavi C, Saraswathula A, Russell JO, Tufano RP. Cost comparison between open thyroid lobectomy and radiofrequency ablation for management of thyroid nodules. Head Neck. 2023 Jan;45(1):59-63. doi: 10.1002/hed.27213. Epub 2022 Oct 6. PMID: 36200695; PMCID: PMC9742308.
- Benedict PA, Kravietz A, Achlatis E, Wang B, Zhang Y, Kidane J, Harrison T, Miller J, Drake VE, Best SR, McWhorter AJ, Lin RJ, Rosen CA, Smith LJ, Amin MR. Prospective, Multi-Center Study of the Anatomic Distribution of Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis. Laryngoscope. 2022 Dec;132(12):2403-2411. doi: 10.1002/lary.30036. Epub 2022 Feb 7. PMID: 35129220.
- Obici S, Magrisso IJ, Ghazarian AS, Shirazian A, Miller JR, Loyd CM, Begg DP, Krawczewski Carhuatanta KA, Haas MK, Davis JF, Woods SC, Sandoval DA, Seeley RJ, Goodyear LJ, Pothos EN, Mul JD. Moderate voluntary exercise attenuates the metabolic syndrome in melanocortin-4 receptor-deficient rats showing central dopaminergic dysregulation. Mol Metab. 2015 Jul 17;4(10):692-705. doi: 10.1016/j.molmet.2015.07.003. PMID: 26500841; PMCID: PMC4588435.
- Smith EL, Miller J, LeRoy T, Ingall E, Tybor DJ, Martin JT, Pevear ME. Off the Market: The Percentage of Products Available After Ten Years. J Am Acad Orthop Surg Glob Res Rev. 2018 Jan 3;2(1):e076. doi: 10.5435/JAAOSGlobal-D-17-00076. PMID: 30211376; PMCID: PMC6132318.