LGBTQI Patient Care
Candice Hunt, MHA
Increase the rate of SOGI (sexual orientation/gender identification) data documented in adolescent acute visits at the UNC Pediatrics Primary Care clinic to 100% of the time by August 31, 2018.
Lessons learned from this project have influenced a variety of relevant initiatives. Project leadership has:
- developed and is implementing the School of Medicine’s longitudinal gender and sexuality curriculum for all medical students
- supported and consulted on multiple clinics’ and groups’ work to provide more welcoming care for LGBTQ+ populations, including UNC System’s office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- SAS Healthcare Center, Transgender Health 101, August 2019
- Pediatric Academic Society, Improving Primary Care Clinic Environments for Sexual and Gender Minority Teens, April 2019
- DNP Evidence Based Practice Symposium, LGBT(QI): Improving Pediatric Primary Care, April 2019
- LGBTQ+ Population Health Course, LGBTQ+ Health Care Provider Panel, March 2019
McKinnish T, Hunt C, Weinberg S, Perry M, Seashore C, Gold S, Vander Schaaf EB. A Quality Improvement Approach to Enhance LGBTQ+ Inclusivity in Pediatric Primary Care. Pediatrics. 2022 Aug 1;150(2):e2021052125. doi: 10.1542/peds.2021-052125. PMID: 35909154.