Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Fellowship
The Department of Pediatrics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill offers a broadly-based fellowship in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, providing both clinical and research training with the goal of preparing trainees for careers in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine. Our graduates are capable of applying their academic skills to scholarly investigation both in academic medicine and community practice.
The fellowship program accommodates up to seven fellows at any time. Completion of a 3-year ACGME-accredited Pediatric residency training program in advance of appointment is a minimum requirement.
Our fellowship objectives are to:
- Train future leaders in neonatal medicine.
- Train fellows to use an academically rigorous approach to decisions about patient care, implementing evidence-based medicine within a multidisciplinary model of care.
- Improve neonatal care and advance the field of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine by training fellows to ask insightful clinical questions and use appropriate tools to answer those questions.
- Train fellows to develop an understanding of quality, teamwork, and safety that can be applied to health care systems.
Why Choose UNC?
- The UNC NICU offers an exceptionally wide clinical variety: surgical, surgical subspecialty, pediatric subspecialty and complex airway patients with a wide range of acuity.
- Highly engaged physician and nurse practitioner faculty are very active in training fellows clinically and working one-on-one with fellows on scholarly activities.
- We offer a wide array of opportunities for scholarly activity.
- We offer highly individualized educational, QI and research experiences tailored to help each fellow reach their career goals.
- About half of our fellow graduates have earned an MPH as part of fellowship training over the past 20 years. 8/12 current NPM faculty have advanced degrees.
- UNC School of Medicine and UNC Pediatrics are committed to diversity and inclusion.
- Chapel Hill is a GREAT city and North Carolina is a GREAT state in which to live!