The Taking Care of Our Own Program
What is the Taking Care of Our Own Program?
The Taking of Our Own Program (TCOOO) is a service offered to all physicians, faculty and housestaff, within the UNC Healthcare System who would benefit from convenient and confidential expertise in wellness and mental health.
The physical and emotional health of physicians is often a secondary priority to the health of their patients, family, and friends. TCOOO was created to encourage health and wellness in those that heal others. We are a group of mental health providers who meet individually with physicians to assess their unique factors which may contribute to symptoms of stress, mood changes, anxiety, and burnout. We help physicians cope with these common issues which can often impact their professional journey.
Please click on the appropriate box below to learn more about how we can meet your specific wellness needs.
To request an individual appointment with one of our TCOOO providers or to request a referral for care, please complete the TCOOO Intake Form.
**If this is an emergency please call 911.** If you need non-emergent immediate assistance please call one of the helplines below:
UNC Healing Heroes Helpline
The Healing Heroes Helpline (H3) is a warm support call-in service available weekdays 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. to all statewide One UNC Health professionals. Call (984) 215-5655 to be connected with a qualified mental health stress provider.
The DHHS Hope4Healers Helpline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (919) 226-2002. You will be contacted quickly by a licensed mental health professional for follow-up.
Please reach out to our program manager, Holly Krohn, MPH (email@example.com) to request a formal group support session, presentation, or panel discussion by one of our TCOOO providers.
Please provide the following details:
- preferences of dates/times
- department or division group
- anticipated audience size
- forum (i.e. didactic, grand rounds, small group intervention, mediation, conference, etc.)
Healing Heroes Helpline (H3) is a support line available from 8 a.m. -7 p.m. Monday-Friday that offers supportive listening, skills-based consultation, access to compiled resources, a connection to confidential faculty run support groups, or a direct referral for best fit therapy. Call H3 at (984) 215-5655 and a mental health provider will call back the same day or at a day and time requested by caller if they cannot pick up immediately. The service is confidential and provides private and no cost access to mental health professionals.
What does TCOOO offer?
- We provide education, support, advice, and if appropriate, professional referral for individual mental or physical help that meets your needs.
- We offer multiple different forms of mental health treatment that include evidence based therapies for burnout, depression and anxiety, and have developed a comprehensive referral base of providers who have experience caring for physicians.
- We work directly with each clinical department and division to implement educational programs with customized material for each clinical specialty, as the demands and stressors vary among the diverse fields of medicine.
- We work with medical training directors and other faculty to make necessary changes that greatly increase the odds that a training physician will be successful in their program.
Sometimes you don’t know what you need.
We’re here to help you figure that out.
Who We Are
Nadia Charguia, MD
Bill Scheidler, MD
Theresa Raphael-Grimm, PhD, CNS
Associate Director of Therapeutic Services
Holly Krohn, MPH
Email Ms. Krohn
Crystal Schiller, PhD
Director, Program Development